close apps running in background

SilverEye

Oct 8, 2011
You have to go to settings, in apps and close them.. also, you have apps in the market for that... when ics is available, will be way easier..

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

skealy4365

May 18, 2012
You have to go to settings, in apps and close them.. also, you have apps in the market for that... when ics is available, will be way easier..

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Sorry, I am new to this, what do you mean "in apps and close them"? I can't see how to close them in settings or out. Should there me a way of closing them in the "recent apps icon" at the bottom of the screen?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Sorry, I am new to this, what do you mean "in apps and close them"? I can't see how to close them in settings or out. Should there me a way of closing them in the "recent apps icon" at the bottom of the screen?

Welcome to the forum!

First, Android handled the RAM so you don't have to. It suspends processes when it starts running low on resources so you do not have to. On a proper computer it will keep apps running until the computer crashes. Android is a completely different ball game. If an app has been suspended (like a browser) when you open it the page will need to load. But, it will not start from your home page. Most users I have found are more interested in keeping the "Recent Apps" area cleaned up similar to closing programs in Windows. This is a "Recent Apps" and not "Running Apps". Also, killing or force closing an app does not remove it from this list.

Killing apps yourself should not be needed most of the time. On occasion, yes, and some users swear by using task killers. I do not.

Now, if you go to Settings - Apps - All (find the app in question) tap the FORCE CLOSE button. (Note some versions of Android may have a different path like Settings - Apps - Manage - All)

If you have a tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich, you can easily kill most tasks from the recent apps menu. Just swipe left or right. Notice how I said MOST apps. Some apps that run in the background (such as Play Music and Navigation) will still continue to run even if you swipe them out of the recent apps menu.