Coby MID8127 soft 'home' key lights but does nothing.Help please.

Discuss

Mar 21, 2012
Hi Folks

I just purchased my first tablet, a Coby MID8127 a few days ago.

I now have a problem.

I downloaded 'Angry Birds' and also installed 'Android Market' and
'Flash' to the unit from a website that was recommended on a leaflet
sent with the tablet.

All was working ok, I thought, including Youtube video's.

It was then that I noticed that the soft 'Home' key was not functioning
properly, it lights up to the touch (capacitance screen) but does not
otherwise do anything else. I have to use the soft 'back' button.

I have unistalled the apps that I installed but the problem persists.

I am reluctant to send it back as I like the tablet, but mainly because
it could be a great deal of hassle to do so as it was purchased from
Idealworld tv channel, if anyone knows what I mean?

I've not yet had any constructive help fom Coby support.

Can anyone of you kind people guide a 70 year old please.:D

Many thanks.

Alan

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is common when one installs market without correct permissions, you would need to boot into recovery and do a factory reset. So models can be reset via settings look in your settings see if you see something about privacy. That is same as factory reset.

Discuss

Mar 21, 2012
Thanks for your reply vampirefo. I have seen the 'privacy' section in the 'settings' but went no further as I am new to these tablets.

Looks like I need to do a factory reset then. :confused:

Can you tell me if I will lose any of the apps that were on the Tablet when I received it from IdealWorld.tv ? There are none
of my own apps on there now as I uninstalled the ones that I have mentioned.

Also please can you explain what is meant by 'correct permissions' ? so that I don't get that wrong again.

Thank you again for your time vampirefo

Alan

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
factory reset you will lose everything, that's not factory. the tablet will be as it was when sold via Coby. correct permission are set via update.zip. each file has a certain permission that allows it to work normally, by not setting the permissions correctly oddities happen to tablet. lose of home key, reboots, lose of back button could be any of these or different oddities, and some tablets have no oddities

Discuss

Mar 21, 2012
Thanks again vampirefo.

I went ahead and did a factory reset and that has cured the 'Home' button problem...it is now working fully. I was unprepared for the tablet text then to be in German language but soon fixed it through the settings.

So in view of what you have said about... "by not setting the permissions correctly oddities happen"... does that mean that I am trying to install apps that have been given wrong permissions by the developer? Or is it up to me to sort this problem on the tablet? and how do I do this?

I still have the apps. files that I believe caused this problem, and would like to try them again.

Sorry if my ignorance is showing again. You can teach old dogs new tricks but it does take longer ;)

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you again.

Alan