Cover My New World

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
As long as Santa has that new 32GB Nexus 7 on my list, I would really like to cover it for protection. Like the idea of the folding type cases but is Google the best choice?

What 3rd party cases sfould I have in my crosshairs?

Gotta stay busy for a couple weeks :eek:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
In another topic, I discussed the auto-sleep feature of the Nexus 7/2 (2nd generation) which is obviously a useful feature, so you don't wear out the power button. ;) Most cases already have that built-in now.

There are numerous "leather" cases you can get via eBay, Amazon, and others. I prefer real leather (which gets dirty, but is soft to the touch) and expensive ($35+!) but the PU (PolyUrethane) ones are dirt cheap, and are that cheap plastic-type leather, which eventually cracks from flexing. Look for ones with holes where the speakers are (or make your own holes?) and the cutout for the rear camera.

One popular case is the Blurex Ultra-Slim Case, about $15. it has rubber grippers in the corners, a multi-angle support, and a microfibre-lined interior.

Secure capture of the tablet is obviously a necessary feature. The Blurex case has rubber grips in the corners, and the cheap imports use velcro or elastic or none at all. :(

Personally, I would get a case with multiple viewing angles, otherwise you will have to settle for flat or upright viewing.

Another thing you can opt for is the free (stylus) pen and screen protector sheet, but is it really a stylus and protector sheet?

Good luck.

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
;) Most cases already have that built-in now.

There are numerous "leather" cases you can get via eBay, Amazon, and others. I prefer real leather (which gets dirty, but is soft to the touch) and expensive ($35+!) but the PU (PolyUrethane) ones are dirt cheap, and are that cheap plastic-type leather, which eventually cracks from flexing. Look for ones with holes where the speakers are (or make your own holes?) and the cutout for the rear camera.
I think I would lean towards leather as well. Anything plastic reminds me when I was really young and my parents got plastic covers for the furniture so us 5 boys wouldn't ruin it. Was that a mistake :eek:

One popular case is the Blurex Ultra-Slim Case, about $15. it has rubber grippers in the corners, a multi-angle support, and a microfibre-lined interior.

Secure capture of the tablet is obviously a necessary feature. The Blurex case has rubber grips in the corners, and the cheap imports use velcro or elastic or none at all. :(

Personally, I would get a case with multiple viewing angles, otherwise you will have to settle for flat or upright viewing.

Another thing you can opt for is the free (stylus) pen and screen protector sheet, but is it really a stylus and protector sheet?

Good luck.

I have spent some time searching the Forums for old threads and have found a few on top of your recommendation but it is so hard to tell without being in your hands. Guess I better get used to trial and error a little.

Found a case that sounds like the one you had mentioned from Speck at StyleFolio for Google Nexus 7 (2013) | Nxus 7 Cases & Covers | Speck Products, I know both my daughters have used Speck cases for their Macbooks through their college years with great success.

And another great suggestion of a stylus pen. Never would have thought about that. Be good for my fat fingers ;)

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I bought the Fintie Case from Amazon.

It was about $9 total. It wasn't real leather, but the case felt OK to me and wasn't slick, like a cheap vinyl case. It has some hard heather-like keepers in the corners and cutouts for the rear-facing camera and power/volume button and USB plug. It has a bend/crease in the middle of the back so you could stand the tablet up in several angles for different kinds of viewing. It also has the magnetic spot to turn the screen off when closed. It even has a small loop for a stylus to slide into, and a strap for your hand to hold it with the cover fully-opened while standing or walking.

Despite it not being covered with real leather or suede, I like it. It's functional but not cheap or "cheap-looking" for the low price.

BTW-
Be careful of the magnetic spot on the case. It really has a magnet there! I was able to use another magnet to lift up the empty case! I would not recommend putting anything with a magnetic strip (credit cards, store cards, ID cards) in there, or it might be damaged.

Riski1

Oct 28, 2013
BTW-
Be careful of the magnetic spot on the case. It really has a magnet there! I was able to use another magnet to lift up the empty case! I would not recommend putting anything with a magnetic strip (credit cards, store cards, ID cards) in there, or it might be damaged.

Excellent heads up there; this is good to know,

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Curiosity is a healthy thing, until something gets damaged! :eek: :p Or, "Look, but don't touch." Well, sometimes even looking gets you in trouble...