Deciding on Xoom vs iPad 2

gquiring

Mar 4, 2011
I went to Best Buy today and played with the Xoom for about 20 minutes. I was very impressed. Right after I used the iPad at BB and iOS feels so plain in comparison.

I loved the tabbed browser on the Xoom. My only big complaint about the Xoom was rotating it. On average it took 7-10 seconds if it would rotate at all. I read this was a common complaint but I would like to know if it's a software or hardware issue. If it's software I know it will be fixed. But if Moto installed some garbage sensor in there then it's got me worried.

I'm still on the fence. I currently own an iPhone so I know the deal with Apple and restrictions which is where I like the idea of Android. Things like Garage Band and iMovie don't interest me, my main interest is browsing and some general apps like Weather and some simple board games like Words with Friends. I read FireFox 4 is coming to Android which is huge for me, I love it on my PC.

I saw Sams Club has the WiFi only Xoom for $540. That makes the Xoom very appealing. But I just have to wonder if Android will continue their success now that Verizon has the iPhone.

I would like to hear from actual Xoom owners and their experience.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
I think there are a lot of problems with the XOOM but 90% of them are fixed with software updates which will probably happen within a month. The problem I see with the XOOM is the price but looking at some of these deals like at Sam's Club then that issue might resolve itself very soon.

I would personally get a XOOM

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Sam's Club price of $539 is nice, but as a side note.. you have to be a Sam's Club member... if not, pay the in-store price. It's not a lot.. but it's an additional price if you are not a club member.

willip

Mar 5, 2011
I have a xoom with verizon 3g/wifi. The first couple of days took some getting used to from my wife's I pad, but now I find it better and much more powerful. Def spring for the 3g version it is great to be able to go anywhere....and the tether feature to a laptop is awesome and fast.

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
for me the issue would revolve around the look and feel of any important app that you plan to use on your tablet. I'm a heavy ebay user and i cannot stand the android implementation of ebay there were missing features from the android implementation like the ability to help me with sniping

gquiring

Mar 4, 2011
I'm still on the fence. I just wonder how long Google is going to take to fix a lot of the Honeycomb bugs I am seeing reported. The browser defaulting to a mobile experience is just so stupid. There is a fix but you loose the fix every time you stop the browser which I understand to be often because it crashes.

TechCrunch posted their review and the one guy is an Android fan and did not like the Honeycomb bugs.

OMG/JK: A Kiss For iPad 2, A Slap For Xoom

ahirl2003

Mar 8, 2011
If my opinion matters, I recommend the XOOM. A few bugs that Motor and Goggle will out soon....but overall, I'm very happy with my XOOM. Feel free to ask specific quesrions.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

xoom917

Mar 8, 2011
The xoom is the way to go if your patient. Its very powerful and fast but there are bugs that need to be worked out which is expected. I like the freedom of the OS and being able to hookup HDMI to TV. I had the ipad sold it to get this beast of a machine. But people have to be patient.

kris7047th

Mar 9, 2011
I have been a Verizon customer for many years, and it was no question to go through them for my Xoom. They have provided me with excellent service and the Xoom is amazing! I hope that my son who is attending Johns Hopkins (research) opts for one too.

Last edited:

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
View attachment 1534Pass on the I poop2 and the Moto Xoom, Check out this little beauty, Look at Hardware and Screen resolution, and to make it Sweeter Honeycomb update within 60 days according to sales rep at Amazon(Preorder $ 399.00) Look at attachment I included! I want one , I have had Elocity A7 and have Zero defects, with 3 updates since December. The $400.00 savings is unreal on the A10 Compared to Xoom & Ipoop2

gquiring

Mar 4, 2011
A friend of mine returned his Xoom tonight. To be fair he has owned an iPad since day one. I had called him after my experience at Best Buy which got him interested in trying it. His major complaints were many Android apps won't run correctly on the Xoom. He also experienced the same lag when rotating the device, about 5 seconds on average. What was very surprising that he found is Google Voice is currently not supported. For the apps that worked he said many would not fill the screen, they were stuck in a small window with no way to scale them.

He also did some timing tests and said the iPad v1 was much faster at loading web pages. He also said the Xoom was not nearly as smooth as an iPad.

So I'm still not sure what to do. I really don't want the Apple restrictions or iTunes. But on the hand I'm not too interested in spending that kind of money and having to wait maybe several months for Google to fix the issues. And I don't know how many are OS issues and how many are app issues.

jamspc

Mar 1, 2011
If buying now definitely go with the xoom, you don’t have to deal with itunes. The software updates will come soon enough, in the mean time the xoom is every bit as functional as the ipad2 and will be even better once the bugs are worked out and more apps are written for Honeycomb

As far as the Elocity A10 is concerned, if your going towards the under $500 range the Viewsonic g tablet would be a better buy at a cost of $350-$400 you will 16Gig vs the Elocity's 4Gig for $400 and the same processor. I know the screen on the Viewsonic is somewhat subpar but i can't imagine the Elocity's screen would be much better.

Sent from my Nook color