Do Bluetooth dongles work on the Kyros 8042?

PurpleLemon

Sep 15, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just got my tablet about a month ago, it's my first and I'm really loving it.
I set it up with a USB keyboard I got cheap on Amazon, but I bought a Bluetooth Logitech one to upgrade it as it's kind of annoying to have the tablet stuck in the USB keyboard case (A PAIN to get in and out!) However, I stupidly didn't realize the Kyros doesn't offer Bluetooth until I tried to connect it.

I would really like to keep the keyboard, I think if I can get it working it'll be an awesome new toy, is there any way to get a mini Bluetooth USB dongle to work? has anybody tried this before? And if so, what steps are needed to do it? I'm hoping it'll work pretty much out of the box with only a few settings changes or apps, as I'm not very comfortable messing around with software and stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
PurpleLemon said:
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just got my tablet about a month ago, it's my first and I'm really loving it.
I set it up with a USB keyboard I got cheap on Amazon, but I bought a Bluetooth Logitech one to upgrade it as it's kind of annoying to have the tablet stuck in the USB keyboard case (A PAIN to get in and out!) However, I stupidly didn't realize the Kyros doesn't offer Bluetooth until I tried to connect it.

I would really like to keep the keyboard, I think if I can get it working it'll be an awesome new toy, is there any way to get a mini Bluetooth USB dongle to work? has anybody tried this before? And if so, what steps are needed to do it? I'm hoping it'll work pretty much out of the box with only a few settings changes or apps, as I'm not very comfortable messing around with software and stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Yep, just use the usb adapter provided with the device and connect usb Bluetooth adapter, i think u can find em for like 12 bucks (pay a little more and you can get Bluetooth V 4.0, with ultra low power devices). From what I understand it can do everything from Bluetooth keyboards, mice, headphones, earwigs ,gps, playstation controllers, and bluetooth cellphone internet tetherinng. Hope that helps.

PurpleLemon

Sep 15, 2012
Yep, just use the usb adapter provided with the device and connect usb Bluetooth adapter, i think u can find em for like 12 bucks (pay a little more and you can get Bluetooth V 4.0, with ultra low power devices). From what I understand it can do everything from Bluetooth keyboards, mice, headphones, earwigs ,gps, playstation controllers, and bluetooth cellphone internet tetherinng. Hope that helps.

Okay, I got one, but the Bluetooth dongle itself seems to be mistaken for an actual keyboard. There's no way to "turn on" bluetooth, or sync the keyboard to the tablet in any way. Any apps or suggestions that might get the Bluetooth dongle to be recognized as Bluetooth?

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
PurpleLemon said:
Okay, I got one, but the Bluetooth dongle itself seems to be mistaken for an actual keyboard. There's no way to "turn on" bluetooth, or sync the keyboard to the tablet in any way. Any apps or suggestions that might get the Bluetooth dongle to be recognized as Bluetooth?

You may have to root, install clockwork recovery and then install vampirefos rom for the 8042. I am searching the net right now, android ics api is suppose to support Bluetooth dongles so it may be a limitation of the stock rom or just an incompatible dongle.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Ok so some allwinner a10 stock roms don't have bluetooth dongle support built in to their kernel, safe to assume the mid8042 doesn't either. However, if its not to above your head, you can install clockwork recovery and from there you can install Vampirefos freshly released today Cyanogenmod9 rom. This rom has bluetooth support built in (along with a boatload more things), and among all the post I read was the end solution. You will need to install the android sdk to use ADB. There are many howtos on the internet to show you how to do this on both windows and linux. After you get the android sdk installed use this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...509-cw-recovey-v6-0-1-1-coby-7042-8042-a.html
To install the clockwork recovery, then go to this thread

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3-development/46340-cm9-coby-8042-a.html

To download the rom to your sd card and install it via recovery. There unfornately is no way to get the device to see it without giving it the software to see it, which means rooting , even though it should be there, in fact some it is. It just a limitation of the stock rom, one of many for people who try to get the full potential out of their small investment.

Last edited: