DRM Content Caching App (Netflix App)

myuserid

Oct 27, 2010
Curious if the Netflix app can cache content on an Android or not? If not, does the Android have an app that can do this? I travel and would like to preload movies to watch before leaving for a trip. TIA

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Curious if the Netflix app can cache content on an Android or not? If not, does the Android have an app that can do this? I travel and would like to preload movies to watch before leaving for a trip. TIA
What your asking for is exactly what Netflix and the movie studios don't want you to do... at all... even a little... because you could be a thief. They probably even tagged you just for asking! Storing movies locally is bad! Freedom is bad! Shame on you!

All sarcasm aside, no, Netflix doesn't do caching as you describe, nor will it ever (more than likely). In fact, most, if not all, video streaming services will prevent this. If you device can use the google android movie rental system, then you may be able to do what you want that way, but for the most freedom, the best bet is to rip DVDs or blurays (that you own... just to keep it semi-legal)

myuserid

Oct 27, 2010
Well, iTunes provides that service... so was hoping there's one already available.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Well, iTunes provides that service... so was hoping there's one already available.
As far as I'm aware, iTunes doesn't stream their videos (as in play while being downloaded), you just download them and play them locally, where as Netflix is purely a streaming service (play while downloading) where the content is actually not being saved to your hard drive after consumption (except, perhaps, for some minor buffering purposes).

Now, as I mentioned, google is developing a movie rental/purchase system for android similar to how iTunes works, but its on fewer android devices than Netflix at the moment... but soon it should be more wide spread.