Exiting Standby with Touchscreen Instead of Power Button

DroidObscura

May 26, 2011
I've had my A500 for over a week and I've discovered that the power button feels a bit flimsy. I'd rather use it as little as possible. I'm wondering if there's a way to bring the device out of standby by tapping the screen instead of pressing the power button to turn the screen back on. I'm not sure if there's a setting in the device to do this, or maybe an app I can install... I'm just sick of having to press the power button just to turn the screen back on.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
problem with that might be a lot of inadvertent turn on if it triggers off the screen...

DroidObscura

May 26, 2011
Well the screen won't activate from inanimate objects, and generally if my fingers are hitting the screen it's because I'm holding the device (which generally means I intend to use it). There are already more inadvertent turn ons with it randomly bringing itself out of standby for no apparent reason.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The button feels "flimsy" because the button itself is floating, but the switch behind it is solidly attached to the main-board.
The travel of the button is limited by the case, not the switch.
This is exactly what you want. If the actual button were fixed to the mainboard you could do damage to it with a bump.

If it goes off too soon adjust your settings so it won't fall asleep so quickly.

If you are "sick of having to press the power button", I suggest you have your sleep timer set too short.

DroidObscura

May 26, 2011
It doesn't really matter that the button is floating. If it breaks or falls out, that's still a trip through the mail back to the company for repair, regardless of whether it's just the floating button or the switch on the motherboard. A flimsy button is a flimsy button. And the button is flush, so bumping it probably wouldn't cause any damage. It just makes me uneasy how wiggly the button feels.

I use the tablet as a remote control for my pc while watching movies and tv shows. I don't want the screen wasting my battery, but I also don't want to have to hit that button every time I want to pause the movie. The on/off button triggers a soft screen turn off. It's not actually a physical switch that cuts power to the screen. I see no reason why there isn't (or shouldn't be) a way to tap the screen (or even a gesture) to turn the screen back on without clicking the button. It's a nuissance. The button should be use purely for full shut downs and boot-ups, as far as I'm concerned.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
There is no way to turn it on without using the power button. There's an app that'll turn it off without touching the power button.