FreeScale 8" MID tablet mx515 FR-809

matthewle

Apr 8, 2011
few questions:

1) How can i upgrade my storage from 4gb to 32GB where can i buy this type of NAND storage and how to i open it to swap it. also how would i transfer everything from old storage to new.

2) Can Ubuntu Linux run on these devices with touch and all the features possible for a tablet.

3) How do i backup and flash my storage.

Yeah i been searching the forums and google for a week now and i just figured out how to replace the keyboard i deleted.. no keyboard for a week lol

so im really a n00b when it comes to tablets im a skilled network engineer and can take tech terms ! please help!

lentm

Mar 5, 2011
you dont buy nand storage, but microsd card. on the lastest firmware, your internal storage will be 'disk', and your microsd will be 'sdcard'.
to flash your firmware, just check the firmware thread (XAUMOD). it is on the first page, and you didn't look at it.

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
That means you can use a Sd card in you slot from 4gb to 32gb to extend your external memory, you can't change your internal ,sorry but you are confused!

Nov 28, 2010
You kind of can actually. On the inside of these tablets is a 4gb Micro SD Card which you can swap out for 32gb. The Android OS itself is on the NAND which is...300mb or so? I don't remember the number at the moment.

Oh and opening it is quite easy, too. Just start at the corner with any kind of small straight screwdriver. Pop up one corner and move along until the case is open. You also might want to watch out for the cable connected to the touchscreen while opening it. Once you pop the touchscreen off, you need to unscrew 4 (or even 2-3 to make it easier) small phillips head screws holding the internal screen in place. Once you take that out, you'll see where the Micro SD card is located. Just replace this with your 32gb card and you're done!

Last edited:

toplinus

Apr 16, 2011
hi i´m from germany, i´ve bought the same Tab you have. but i´ve got a problem to poer off the tablet. nothing happened when i turn the on/off button to "off" position. the user manual cannot help me.
coud you tell me how do you shut down7 power off your tab?
thanks a lot
dirk

few questions:

1) How can i upgrade my storage from 4gb to 32GB where can i buy this type of NAND storage and how to i open it to swap it. also how would i transfer everything from old storage to new.

2) Can Ubuntu Linux run on these devices with touch and all the features possible for a tablet.

3) How do i backup and flash my storage.

Yeah i been searching the forums and google for a week now and i just figured out how to replace the keyboard i deleted.. no keyboard for a week lol

so im really a n00b when it comes to tablets im a skilled network engineer and can take tech terms ! please help!

Nov 28, 2010
hi i´m from germany, i´ve bought the same Tab you have. but i´ve got a problem to poer off the tablet. nothing happened when i turn the on/off button to "off" position. the user manual cannot help me.
coud you tell me how do you shut down7 power off your tab?
thanks a lot
dirk

When you switch it to the off position a menu should come up asking you what you want to do. One of the options should be to power off the device. If this isn't showing up, then you have a defective tablet and you should return it. To test and see if it's defective, move the switch to the off position and then press the reset button. If you're tablet turns off, then it's not defective and something is wrong with the software. If it doesn't, its defective and you should return it to wherever you bought it from. In order to fix the software problem, I suggest you either do a factory reset and see if that will fix it, or flash the XAUMOD Firmware and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't fix it then just return it. I hope this helps!

bonzalza

Apr 16, 2011
hi i have bricked my pad by doing a hard reset, then i opened it and i cleared the cache partition by using linux, now the pad goes to the calibration screen but cannot do anything else, windows wont recognize it as any usb at all, noes not even make a sound its like i didnt even plug the usb wire, so my petition is does anyone have an image of all the partitions on the internal 4gb micro sd card maybe by rebuilding everything on the memory i would be able to fix it, also my pad its supose to be the FR-809 or the 805T but mine is completly black, has 2 speakers and no screws and it wont get top recovery mode on any combination of buttons. i have tried holding the 2 buttons by the power button, and also all 3 buttons and then one of the buttons on top plus the one by the screen and nothing happens, any help would be appreciated. thanks.

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
Hello,
Is it actually possible to replace the internal microSD card with one of a larger capacity say 8GB or 16GB?
Is there a procedure to do this?

Regards,
Andrew