Froyo?

ramost

Jan 20, 2011
I want a tablet. I've done a lot of research and it basically came down to the kyros 7015. What is it about the kyros that makes it so hard to get a stable 2.2 build on it.
I really don't want to wait for the new kyros tablets to come because on the cobyusa site the last press release from them about anything was over four months ago. Who the heck knows when or if these gingerbread tablets are coming out.
Anybody know anything about this tablet? GM10 Marvell. It looks pretty good and I think it has a better shot at being upgraded to gngerbread then the kyros does of being upgraded to froyo. This tablet was running android 1.6 not too long ago for pete's sake and now it's at froyo.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
the problem with *any* telechips device is they aren't releasing the BSP's needed for custom development.

according to an email from coby support another user posted here, they are abandoning the MID7015A as far as updates are concerned. they are going to be focusing on the new devices being released soon.

TWolf

Jan 30, 2011
The word from Coby on their Facebook page was mid March to early April for the new tablets.

LordBane00

Mar 2, 2011
Yeah but the rest of use with 7015 tabs are left out in the cold unless all info about the 7015 rom is released so we can have a working froyo rom made.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

ramost

Jan 20, 2011
It's maddening. Why would they not release the board set of a model that they are scrapping. It's like they are the apple of inexpensive androids. You just gotta wait for the new kyros to come out.

LordBane00

Mar 2, 2011
no point in waiting for me I can't afford another tablet I'm lucky to have this one.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
It's not coby withholding the bsp, it's telechips. Coby is in violation of their gpl obligations, though...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ramost

Jan 20, 2011
The 7015 is really all I need but I guess it's human nature to want more. I think I'm going to get the 7015. After reading everything everybody has done in here to make theres better I'm kind of hankering to get my hands on one and do some tinkering myself. I've never owned an android anything before so this should be a great device to start out with. I also love the fact that people in here really seem to love their tablets and that there is a wealth of knowledge and support here. I'm buying one when my tax return gets here.
LordBane00, I really don't need to be spending more money then this anyway. Yhanks for the perspective.

bsinclair

Mar 5, 2011
Well, I have one and have no problems whatsoever. Rooting was easy with z4root, instead of google calendar I am using Pocket Informant that is way better and work great. Problem is contact, I ended create a memento database and it is just a fantastic address book.

The screen is actually very responsible, I can't complain. Battery life is not great, but I can run thru a normal day usage and charge overnight, so it is OK for me.

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
I bought one and received it a few days ago. It took me nearly 20 hours total to get it rooted and Clockwork mod installed and running. I am tech retarded though. A good video on youtube was much more helpful than the instruction thread on this site....but I need pictures ;)

I'm LOVING it! The only handheld anything I ever had before was a HTC Mogul with Windows Mobile and this thing is so much more than that was. Of course I'm a little disappointed now that I didn't wait for the new ones to come out but then again, this is more than enough for my needs right now so I saved a few bucks and have more tablet than I really need anyway so no biggie. It's just that thing ingrained in us that makes us want the latest and greatest of everything I guess. Besides...how long will it be before there's as much available for the new models as what's available for the 7015 now? By time mods are made for the new ones I'll probably have the cash to get one and if not I'm satisfied right now.

Before I bought it I saw threads of people complaining that the screen was unresponsive to their touch and that it's slow and all kinds of other negative stuff on it but I have to say that I haven't noticed any of that with mine. The screen works fine, it does freeze up once in a while but a quick push of the reset button and I'm back in business. I don't have anything so important that I can't afford a few seconds to reboot every once in a while...no big deal!

IMO, this is definitely the best value in it's price range at this point in time. I guess if you want to wait for the new ones to release you might be OK there too. But I'm just thinking that anyone with new models will have some time to wait before they have a fully functional tablet. And like I said....by that time comes they will likely be less expensive anyway. Not only that but the next gen will likely be on the horizon. If you're the type that has to constantly keep up with the latest and greatest (I don't know how people can afford to keep up) then I guess wait a while. But if you want something that works well and has plenty to offer at the moment plus is low cost then definitely go with the 7015...I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Only one thing I wish the 7015 had that I think the new models will have is a camera. If I could change one thing, that would be it!