Game development with Unity

roychr

Mar 7, 2011
Hi,

We are a montreal indy based development company and are looking into buying and good tablet for the upcoming tablet surge that is to come this year. We looked at the xoom and it looks attractive for development since it support the nvidia store.

Unity3d is best used with arm 7 and beyond with android OS 2+ devices.

We first got our hands on htc phones for the screen specs, getting the platform to work et al.

We would like to know if there are good 2.2 tablets that are not too expensive that could upgrade eventually to honneycomb. (could solve the tablet screen factor problem) or should we wait a bit longer for a good next gen basic development platform (Tegra dual core 1gig ram and such) like buying the xoom ? Is there any alternative comming in the next two months to the xoom and for how much and from whom ?

Thanks in advance, we are rather starting out here and there seem to be a huge amount of chinese crap out there and sorting a good dev tablet is hard (we do not have the budget for more than one tablet)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
gTablet from Amazon.com. A lot of other developers are onboard as well.

There has been Redflagdeals discussions on that.

The Malata Zpad has 1GB RAM, but I have seen a host of issues with the hardware that makes me not really recommend this since we Canadians have better access to the gTablet.

roychr

Mar 7, 2011
Ok i was able to order trough amazon.com, I will come back and review this device as soon as I get my hands on it.

roychr

Mar 7, 2011
Ok, got the two tablets, I took one and rooted it successfully. I installed Harmony rom on it and lost the sound (this is a known bug with the jack) also I lost the ability to do USB transfer, did someone found a way to bring this back ? I got a software to transfer via HTTP/FTP in the android app store for free, but I would like the USB to come back to life. I had to install the Android SDK and uninstall the default driver in favor of the Android one and it worked, my device was seen and Unity was happily sending the game to the device successfully. This took around 6 hours of meddling, starting from complete noob to I know a little bit about the entire process.

I am very happy with the tablet itself. As it only has half the memory of the xoom, it will help us get our game optimized early for good performance on the upcomming devices. Many thanks xaueious for your advice.

Just a note though There was a ~50$ CA shipping via UPS fee as well as GST of ~50$/each device. So if you buy, be prepared mentally for these fees, as it came as a surprise to me, but I always forget to account for those.

Finally if you have any thought on if I should use another rom or how to fix the above problems would be useful ^ ^

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Tigerdirect also carries these things now for cheaper.

Hopefully, you fixed your problem by now. I actually still don't know the answer, but I am thinking your issue is kernel dependent.

roychr

Mar 7, 2011
Hey,

Yeah probably the tablets have gone down, I switched the OS to Vegan now, been in heaven since, no problems to report as far as Unity dev goes.

I would be very interested in benchmarks for opengl on this device, what shader version does it support up to also would be interesting.