Garmin Navionics App on Lenovo Tablet

sbbamafan

Jul 22, 2023
I have a Lenovo Tab8 (or whatever it is properly called) running Android 10 that I purchased specifically to use for the Garmin Navionics app when on my boat. It is the 2nd Gen tablet. There is a new gen tablet version that runs Android 12. Mine was great for over a year then had an update and has not worked for a few months. I have gone back and forth with Gamin support only now to be told that they now realize there is a glitch with the newest Android 10 update and that I will have to get another tablet running a different OS. Surely there must be a workaround. Here is the problem.

The tablet is saying it doesn't have access to location but it does. The only way it thinks it can locate is have a wifi connection - which I don't have on the boat. How can I either go back to the pre-update condition or jump ahead to Android 11? Any other way to 'force' location to work as it used to? If necessary I can post the screen shots that I sent to Garmin. Thanks in Advance.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, you'd be better served getting a tablet with a built-in GPS. The Tab 4 series from Lenovo never received updates to Android 9.

sbbamafan

Jul 22, 2023
You missed the mark. The Tab8 has built in GPS. That is not the point at all.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You missed the mark. The Tab8 has built in GPS. That is not the point at all.
Clearly I did in fact misread your post. I read it as Tab 4 8", as Lenovo tacks the screen size on to their models of tablet. For that, I apologize.

Regardless, the Lenovo tablets rely on WiFi signals to determine their location: none of them have a GPS receiver on board that I know of. Thus your only real option is a new tablet. One that has both a current version of Android and a GPS chip.