Google Beta for New Augmented Reality Smartphone-Based Conspiracy MMO: 'Ingress'

Discussion in 'Android Tablet News' started by dgstorm, Nov 16, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

This mind-bending bit of news has quite a few surprises and twists both in its inception, its source, and its content. The first surprise is that Google's own Niantic Labs is actually developing an MMO (massively mutlplayer online) video game.

The second surprise is that although this game works like an MMO with millions of users across the globe playing together in real time, it doesn't use a traditional interface. This is a smartphone based augmented reality game.

The third surprise is the content of the game will be a paranoid laced, global conspiracy theme that uses real world landmarks as points of reference to help move the story along. (It looks like they found some unique uses for Google Maps.) Here's a quote with the story description to help nail down the concept,

It seems to me that this game is like FourSquare, only it wraps it in an interesting plot and more interactivity. We knew that those Google engineers were crafty and creative, but who knew they could come up with a mind-bending concept like this, or that they were even working on a game? The only thing that might be a concern about this idea is that some folks who already have a problem distinguishing reality from fantasy might have a problem extricating themselves from this "game." Get out your tin-foil hats everyone, and que up the X-Files theme music!

Here's a link to the Google Play Store where you can request an invite to the currently closed beta test of the game: Google Play Store - Ingress

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  2. probbiethe1

probbiethe1 Super Moderator Staff Member

can anyone invite me to this?

3. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    You'll have to meet me in Times Square. Wear a white carnation on your lapel so I can recognize you. The pass phrase is "I must have made a wrong turn in Albyquirky." This post may self destruct....

• Like Like x 4
  4. vampirefo.

vampirefo. Senior Member Developer

Tablet / Device:
    Leagoo Lead 1 ZTE OPEN C, Coby 7065, Coby 8042, Coby 9740
    LMAO, good one.

5. probbiethe1

probbiethe1 Super Moderator Staff Member

man I wish I knew how to do that so I could get invited.

6. vampirefo.

vampirefo. Senior Member Developer

Tablet / Device:
    Leagoo Lead 1 ZTE OPEN C, Coby 7065, Coby 8042, Coby 9740
    did you go to their site and put in your email address to request an invite?

Ingress