Google Sky Map, who has it working, and how?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I can't install it from the market (the market says my device is not compatible)

Does anyone have it working, and how did you get it working?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Are you only interested in terms of running it on the Nook? I haven't tried that, but did get it on my G-Tab, which also requires some machinations.

I am including a link to the thread I wrote up on GPS with non-GPS equipped tablet here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ps/5141-share-your-phone-gps-your-tablet.html

As far as Google Maps, SkyMaps, and other similar GPS-related apps like geocache things, once you the actual configuration correct you can sideload the apps themselves.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, I would like to get it running on my nook...I know we have a couple members that have it running on theirs, and it intrigued me.

I live in a rural area of East Texas (okay, most all of East Texas is rural, but that is beside the point! :) ) and have incredible views of the stars, but I would like to see and know more about what I am seeing.

I will definitely check out your link, thanks pbrauer!

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Yeah, I would like to get it running on my nook...I know we have a couple members that have it running on theirs, and it intrigued me.

I live in a rural area of East Texas (okay, most all of East Texas is rural, but that is beside the point! :) ) and have incredible views of the stars, but I would like to see and know more about what I am seeing.

I will definitely check out your link, thanks pbrauer!

Any where near Port Arthur, I've got family there?

What issue are you having? I ask because Skymaps is one of my favorites. I sang it's praises on the owners thread a few weeks ago.

Can you not install it? Or is it just not usable when you do?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
No, I am more Central East Texas (60 miles East of Waco, 90 south of Dallas and 150 north of Houston)

I can't even install it from the market...my NC won't show up in the 'send to' device dropdown on the install screen.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
What about from the maket on the NC? It won't install huh. That is weird. Again I have had it since the word go and I have been on nightlies for a while. My guess is that I have had it saved by TiBU so it just shows up after I flash.

Have you ever had it installed and working on any builds? Just thinking maybe you could restore it from an old bu. Alternately revert or boot from sd to an earlier rom(not sure which one) install Skymaps back up apps/data w/tiBU then restore on your current build.

Clunky and time consuming, yes but as yet my skills are limited. Hope this helps.

Oh one other thing, it seems as I am typing this that I recall some issues with it not associating with my wifi. Had to set my location and tell Skymaps to use my wifi determine location. I do not remember the specifics and am loathe to try and recreate it as I don't want to lose the functionality but I do remember there being some location issues. This is a link to the current apk com.google.android.stardroid-1.apk perhaps you can try side-loading?

Hope this helps.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Didn't show up in the NC market either...and no, I didn't have it installed before (BUT I DO NOW!!!)

Thanks for the apk, it sideloaded perfectly and works just fine.

What I did was just grab the long/lat of my house and set it as my location.

Thanks LS!

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Awesome! Glad I could help! My recommendation is to turn off all the lights, lay back on your comfy cozy of choice, fire up Skymaps, and appreciate how insignificant we really are.

Just my two cents...

Cheers,

LS

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am just worried that when I try and figure out what that one star is, I will hear it say "That's not the Christmas Star Griz, that's the light on the top of the sewage treatment plant..."

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I am just worried that when I try and figure out what that one star is, I will hear it say "That's not the Christmas Star Griz, that's the light on the top of the sewage treatment plant..."
tumblr_lg5v1v555R1qe0eclo1_r2_500.gif

fnzCat

Dec 10, 2010
I have a 1.0.1 rooted NC with auto nooter and just today I downloaded and installed google sky map from the market. I had no trouble seeing it on the market. When first starting and in the license acceptance screen it popped up a balloon notice that said it was using my location of Lincoln which is correct.
It seems to run fine, but I could not figure out how to get to any configure or search screens. I have Softkeys installed and so when hitting the N button and with the Softkey icons at the bottom I thought I would just try hitting the 'magnifying glass' for search and up comes the Sky Map search screen. So I can get to search function now. Now to find a way into any more configuration settings!

fnzCat