Help me understand the whole process

jerryferreira

Jun 15, 2013
Hello all,

Because I would be travelling with my ASUS MeMo Smart 10 tablet, I was testing Android Device Manager, I used the "Lock" feature to lock my android. Little did I know (Google gives no warning whatsoever) that I can no longer unlock my tablet. Here's what I've done:
  • I tried to restore from a previous backup I made with TWRP. That failed several times.
  • After swearing, I bit the bullet, wiped everything, and flashed my tablet to factory original.
  • I rooted.
  • I flashed TWRP using ADB.
  • Removed some bloatware. Google installed my apps from the Play Store.
  • Tried to create a backup with TWRP but can't at the moment. I will have to find a version that works properly. (My tablet is compatible with the ASUS Transformer 300T.)
This is my 4th or 5th time having to do this over the years I've had my tablet. I don't want to have to start from factory original ever again.

What I would like to understand is this. After I have my tablet set up the way I want, what is the process of "copying" it the way it is and creating the zip file so that I can install it from an SD card? My tablet will automatically install whatever is in a zip file named "EP201_1024_SDUPDATE.zip" on the SD card.

I can't find a tutorial that takes you through the complete process from having a tablet all set the way you want it, "zipping" that, then restoring it back using an SD card.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That's because you don't use a flashable zip to restore the entire system as if you were installing a custom ROM for the first time. Instead, you create a nandroid backup using the backup feature in TWRP. Now I understand that you are having issues with getting the nandroid to complete successfully. You should be able to find the latest TWRP recovery for your device over at TeamWin - TWRP . Current versions of TWRP can be upgraded directly through the recovery, without having ADB installed.

jerryferreira

Jun 15, 2013
That's because you don't use a flashable zip to restore the entire system as if you were installing a custom ROM for the first time. Instead, you create a nandroid backup using the backup feature in TWRP. Now I understand that you are having issues with getting the nandroid to complete successfully. You should be able to find the latest TWRP recovery for your device over at TeamWin - TWRP . Current versions of TWRP can be upgraded directly through the recovery, without having ADB installed.

Thanks so much for your reply. I am checking on some older versions of TWRP to see which will work properly.

That's a bummer! I was hoping that I could create a modified zip file that acts like the ASUS zip file that sets up the tablet from scratch.