Honeycomb - Gonna be a while...

jonroach13

Mar 24, 2011
Looks like we are going to have to wait for Honeycomb goodness...

Google released this statement:
Android 3.0, Honeycomb, was designed from the ground up for devices with larger screen sizes and improves on Android favorites such as widgets, multi-tasking, browsing, notifications and customization. While we're excited to offer these new features to Android tablets, we have more work to do before we can deliver them to other device types including phones. Until then, we've decided not to release Honeycomb to open source. We're committed to providing Android as an open platform across many device types and will publish the source as soon as it's ready.

From Engadget:
Google keeping Honeycomb source code on ice, says it's not ready for other devices -- Engadget

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am reading through this info as well as other info, looks like in their rush to beat the iPad2 to market Google overlooked some shortcomings in the platform. I would bet major manufacturers like Motorola and Samsung are not going to stop delivering, but it does put a freeze on the community.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
At lest everyone is in the same boat.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using the Android Tablet app!

patricks

Mar 23, 2011
I took the plunge the other day on woot, and ever since then I was wondering if viewsonic would put out an official honeycomb upgrade. Looks like it will be a while.

As I wait for my gtab, I'm torn on what to do. Should I root it, and install a customer ROM? Should I wait and see if they put out an official upgrade later???

I'm fairly tech savvy, so I'm not too worried about rooting, but the thought of bricking my device on the first day makes me nervous.

Anyone else see the post on woot about NOT trying to root if your gtab comes with 3991 firmware.

This forum has been a great resource. special thanks to fuganater

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I took the plunge the other day on woot, and ever since then I was wondering if viewsonic would put out an official honeycomb upgrade. Looks like it will be a while.

As I wait for my gtab, I'm torn on what to do. Should I root it, and install a customer ROM? Should I wait and see if they put out an official upgrade later???

I'm fairly tech savvy, so I'm not too worried about rooting, but the thought of bricking my device on the first day makes me nervous.

Anyone else see the post on woot about NOT trying to root if your gtab comes with 3991 firmware.

This forum has been a great resource. special thanks to fuganater

You can always go back to stock.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I've heard from alot of people it doesn't brick easily.

I've loaded tons of ROMs and only encountered an issue the first time with G-Harmony (had to reflash). If you brick it you clearly didn't follow the instructions.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You should also read the nvflash process in case you do get stuck. Also, do NOT flash if you are comfortable with the whole process. The board is full of people that think it is like changing the batteries in a flashlight. It isn't. You are changing the operating system on a small computer that does not have a keyboard, etc.

It is straightforward, makes the device much better to use, and can be done if you follow directions, just be careful.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using the Android Tablet app!