honeycomb, honeycomb, I want honeycomb!

lithius

May 18, 2011
Howdy all,

First time posting, I hope I am posting in the right place, because this is definitely honeycomb relative.

Anyways, getting to the point here...

I have been a patient android tablet dreamer for about a year now, constantly seeing better and better stuff coming down the line, and telling myself "hell I'll wait for that", so I finally told myself that's it! With honeycomb coming, I am going to grab the first tablet that meets my needs, and that was the Asus Transformer... However we all know it was easier finding Osama at this point.

So now I am left in shambles really wanting a honeycomb tab... and my question is what cheap 7-10" honeycomb tab should I buy today to tie me over till more Transformers come available?

Please let me know of any suggestions, I really want to get my hands on one.

Thank you!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
What do you consider to be "cheap?" There are a lot o choices out there including my 10" Viewsonic G-tablet running Honeycomb, which I am using to answer your post.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Hi lithius and welcome to the forum! If you have your heart set on Transformer, I say wait for it.
100,000 units are suppose to hit the stores and online retailers within the next week or so.
I suggest checking out our sister site dedicated to the Eee Pad Transformer at TransformerForums.com
You'll be glad you did! ;)

tp76

Mar 25, 2011
Honeycomb is definitely the way to go and some better priced tablets are on the horizon...

BTW - Welcome to Android Tablets ;)

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
I would say that the transformer is one of the better Honeycomb tablets right now with that ability to dock. 16 HOURS battery :)

OregonJim

Apr 4, 2011
Wow! Is there a how-to with links for installing Honeycomb on the Viewsonic G-Tablet? How is the functionality?

GREAT to hear.

OregonJim

What do you consider to be "cheap?" There are a lot o choices out there including my 10" Viewsonic G-tablet running Honeycomb, which I am using to answer your post.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yep, and if you can follow all the directions, it is pretty straight forward. check out the links at [ROM] Honeycomb for GTAB 1.2-based firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com for the actual downloads of the ROM and the necessary image files and NVFLASH binaries.

Also, look at the threads here in the Viewsonic sub-forum, there are youtube videos showing step-by-step what to do

I would recommend going straight to the NVFLASH of the 4349 thread and using that as your starting point (that should make sense after you read the thread).

lithius

May 18, 2011
Thanks for all the replies, and the warm welcome!

I have hear rumors of 100,000 units being shipped but didn't know if was true or not... I may as well wait :D

jjhiza

Jan 1, 2011
Depending on what You're actually going to use a tablet for, you could (potentially) go really cheap, and pick up a Galaxy Tab or a Nook, root it, and flash Honeycomb onto it. The Nook has a working port already, and Spacemoose1 over at XDA is working hard to get both CDMA and GSM ports running on the Galaxy Tab within the next two weeks! With Deeperblue's involvement (he's responsible for the Nook port), the port should be of the highest quality, and have full functionality. Just a thought, since I don't know what kind of budget you're working with, but at $800, and already owning the Tab, the Xoom was out of the question for me. I've read reports that the new Galaxy Tab 10.1 runs Honeycomb like a dream though, so it may be worth checking out!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
The new gtab has touchwiz which is not a fan favorite for most. The xoom runs pure google.

May 10, 2011
Check out the Acer iconia a500. Its an awesome tablet, and many people feel is better than the transformer. The build quality is superb, aluminum backing, full sized USB port on the tablet, along with micro usb, mini hdmi, and a dock port for future accessories, also the SD card slot works and supports up to 64 gb! Though the Asus has a very slightly better screen, this one is more than fine, and responsiveness is amazing. Also, it has 1 gig of DDR3 ram, all the others only have DDR2. All in all, I was planning on getting a transformer, but I couldn't find one anywhere so I got the iconia and I'm so glad I did. I've been hearing a lot about the Asus being poorly made and cheap feeling, its the opposite on the iconia, everything is solid and awesome.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
The only bad thing about the iconia is that it apparently has a locked bootloader. So hacking will be limited.

jjhiza

Jan 1, 2011
Check the Galaxy Tab dev thread over at XDA... Spacemoose1 has already released a CDMA Honeycomb alpha (I'm running it as I type this), and GSM should be released within a couple of days. :)

Sent from my Gamsung Galaxy Tab using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Are you sure about that? Just about anything can be hacked... however not everyone is interested in hacking their tablet.

Douvie.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum