How do I back up my system without already having rooted it?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I posted here after you posted your permissions.zip in the other thread. So we didn't see each other's posts. :)

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
I'm rooted and backed up. I'd like to install clockworkmod's recovery (I assume you meant the rom manager) but the only place they keep it is on google play which I cant get to (getting google play was the whole point of this exercise.) I see copies on some filesharing sites but I don't know if I can trust them, especially with my rootly powers. Besides, coby is not listed in the supported devices list. Which did you install & how did you get it without google play ?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Links to Clockworkmod recovery are in the Development Index sticky in Generation 3 Development. These were compiled from source by vamiprefo, therefore they do not appear on Koush's repository. ROM Manager is therefore totally useless. As to how I installed it? The old-fashioned way: ADB. My zip file in the Development Index also includes an install routine for Clockworkmod.

Speaking of the zip file, I will be uploading a new version within the next twenty minutes if you want to try it out.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
But I disagree that a batch file is better than typing the commands in.
You're entitled to your opinion of course. Granted, for the 9742 rooting is relatively easy with there being only four commands. However, would you want to type in every command by hand for rooting a 7033/7035, which has over twenty different commands, most of them looking alike? I know I wouldn't, and I don't think the 7033/7035 users would either.

The batch file is assembled as a matter of convenience. If people want to input the commands by hand, I'm not going to stop them. After the process is done, if they want to take a look at the batch file and see how things work, more power to them as it shows a desire to learn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general: When writing tutorials, make sure your writing does not assume the reader uses only one operating system. Currently your tutorial is written exclusively for users of Windows XP. Having a Windows XP section of a tutorial is perfectly fine, but you also must have a section for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users. For an example of this, take another look at my Basic Driver Installation for Windows PCs thread, as it provides information for all three operating systems yet keeps Windows XP and the other two separate.

2: Take out the model number. Since these drivers are for all Coby Generation 3 units, the model number implies that other Generation 3 owners need a different solution, which is not true.
5: The cable is a MiniUSB cable, not MicroUSB.
12: For simplicity's sake (and I'm guilty of this one too) refer to the .INF file by its full name, thus android_winusb.inf.
13: Windows XP only has one driver: Composite ADB Interface. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have all three drivers available, simply because both Windows Vista and Windows 7 will allow you to install the driver, regardless of the tablet not being in android_winusb.inf. This goes back to my general information comment at the beginning of this post.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Then that is a minor inconvenience. There are enough differences between how Windows XP finds new hardware and how Windows Vista/7 does the job that it could trip people up.

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
Let me rephrase that; I don't have either Vista or 7. I suppose I could stroll into Best Buy and start installing drivers on random machines for the experience but they might object.
I guess I won't write anything up then. And other neophytes will just go through the same hell I have and asking the same dumb questions I did over & over & over all starting with: "HELP!! How do I get Google Play on my 9742?!?"

apchar

Sep 22, 2012
Traveller,
OK. Plodding forth I got as far as step 6 in your original post
6. Booted and set things up just the way I wanted them, but did NOT set up my Google account on the tablet. This included adding my modified build.prop, the missing XML files in \system\etc\permissions, and my modified framework-res.apk.

Can you post the files you mention: build.prop, the XML files, and framework-res.apk ?

Last edited: