How do I get rid of Unwanted Apps?

rmicheald

Jun 1, 2012
I have a new RK 2918 tablet from Yuandao - the N90. I am having a couple of problems.

1. It has some Chinese games that I can't figure out how to delete them. I stumbled upon a list of the files but when I selected delete, it wouldn't allow me to delete. Is there any way short of reflashing my chip to get rid of things?
  2. When I try to download an app, it comes up saying "China Mobile Unknown N90" and "can't download app for your country".

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very experienced on PC's but new to Android.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

If your tablet is running Android 4.0, you can disable pre-installed apps. If not, you will have to root and then use Titanium Backup to freeze the apps.

Not sure about the 2nd question, are you trying to use the Play Store (Android Market)?

rmicheald

Jun 1, 2012
I am running Android 4.0.3. I disabled the apps and they no longer show up on my desktop but still show they are taking up some storage. Anyway to delete them from wherever they are on storage?
Yes, I am trying to download from the Play Store. Apps like AVG antivirus.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The issue with removing them completely is that if you try to update, if the current ROM is not the same size as it expects, it will not allow it to update.

I am not sure how often your tablet will get updates, but it is better not to uninstall them so you can get updates easier.

Also, I know a lot of the chinese tablets do not work with the play store due to restrictions with agreements with China and Google. Many users have had to root and install a different ROM to get the Play Store working on some of these tablets.

rmicheald

Jun 1, 2012
I have found that if I just do a search on the internet for the apk file I want, I can usually find a couple of sites that have it for download and can install it via the usb connection to the tablet.
Thanks for your help

atessadri

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Michael,
I have the same issue with my Chinese tablet.
Google detects it as "China Mobile Unknown Full AOSP on Rk29sdk".
Google Play doesn't show paid apps and if I try to install Skype, for instance, I get the same message as yours "Not available for your country".
I am dealing with RockChip to understand if they can fix it.
I am also wondering if RockChip has passed Google Compatibility test as stated at this address:
Android Compatibility | Android Open Source

I will keep you posted in case of good news. You can then press on your supplier to do the same.
Cheers

Andrea