How To Change Pointer On Google Map To Show Home Location

ES44AC8102

May 26, 2015
Hello,

When I click on the navigation icon I get a blue ring next to the road outside my home...it's marked as HOME.
No doubt I did this at some point <sigh> I also have a red pointer that shows my true location, only .1 of a mile away but not correct.

How do I change the blue ring to indicate where I really am? I see that I can edit the home address but all that does is change the name on the blue ring, where I don't reside!

I know this wouldn't make any difference at all using the navigation, I'd just like it to be right. I'm used to tracking satellites and having everything be 'just so', it has to be or you won't find the sat you are looking for.

I've done searches on the web but no joy! I know you guys will be able to hook me up with the right info.
I did try and clear the cache but that didn't seem to help any.

This is Android 4.2.2 if you need to know that info, it's on a non-rooted Trio AXS 4G.

I do have trouble getting reliable GPS info from inside the home, I understand that. But I don't live across the road where it seems to want me to be. Might not be bad.... it's an open parking lot! No neighbors!

Thanks in advance

"ES"

Last edited:

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Howdy, ES. You can try the tips listed in the help section.
Improve the accuracy of your location
If your GPS, position, or location on the map is wrong, follow these steps to help fix the problem.

Turn on Wi-Fi
Your location is most accurate if Wi-Fi is turned on.

Try going outside
Your GPS signal is strongest under the clear blue sky. If you can’t see the sky, you might have a weak GPS signal and your position on the map might not be accurate.

If Maps isn’t sure about your location
When Google Maps isn’t sure about your location, you’ll see a light blue circle around the blue dot. You might be anywhere within the light blue circle. The smaller the circle, the more certain we are about your location.

If you see a gray dot, this means that we can’t find your current location and we’re showing you the last location you visited.

W_viY1wvVh8hLLSGoegz3mDXN12Z-siXX6TADbSNZJBlD7QZ8FtnXxB6llxxEA=w300

How Maps knows your location
Your location is approximated by using this information from your phone:

• GPS: This uses satellites and knows your location within a few meters.
  • Wi-Fi: The location of nearby WiFi networks helps Maps know where you are.
  • Cell tower: Your connection to a cellular network can be accurate up to a few thousand meters.
  • Other information: Your location can be improved with an accelerometer, compass, gyroscope and barometer in your phone.

ES44AC8102

May 26, 2015
Thank you for the quick reply! I get a more accurate indication when I turn OFF Wi-Fi and use the data connection for whatever reason.

I am not even in the outer ring of the light blue circle the one marked as HOME. The RED pointer is very close to where I really am and I still don't know how to rename that RED one as HOME and get rid of the blue one. The blue one could stay, but seeing it marked as my home location, which it isn't, bugs me.

Regards,

"ES"

Last edited: