How to put 1Gb RAM under use?

vlvanchin

May 21, 2011
I bought an Acer Iconia A500 tab at MegaTex show 2011.

The spec was 1Gb RAM, i can see the this at SETTINGS> ABOUT TABLET> DEVICE INFORMATION> RAM.

But my boubt is that when i go to the SETTINGS>Applications>Running services i do not see that 1Gb under use instead 0.5 Gb. the setting of the tablet it shows 537MB of RAM. Please let me know isthere any things that i need to do to get 1GB ram under use.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I'm under the belief, with zero proof mind you, that this 1GB of RAM business is merely for marketing purposes, as lots of users make purchase decisions based on specs. I would like someone to show me where the HC tablets are really using all of this RAM in some fashion that actually gives more usefulness to the user. Until then, I'll continue being a doubting Thomas.

pentool

May 1, 2011
I'm under the belief, with zero proof mind you, that this 1GB of RAM business is merely for marketing purposes...
Well, in a way, I agree. But think about this. If you build your computer, and buy 8G RAM, that's not going to be 8G since the OS will use some of it.

And this is where the "use some of it" factor comes in. Don't know if you noticed, but by default (aka after a fresh install) Windows 7 x64 Ultimate uses about 12% of your RAM. With 8G built in, that comes out to be almost 1G. So if you installed 8G, only 7G will be available. So if Win 7 x64 Ultimate uses nearly 1G and this little device uses about half of that (512M), isn't this a tad overkill?

I mean Windows XP SP3 uses for me around 150M (!!!) when it's booted up, and that's with some extra drivers installed (like nVidia, Wacom tablet, etc). Are you telling me that the system on this tablet uses more RAM than Windows XP SP3!? Whoa!

thekobk

May 22, 2011
The problem with your example is this is not windows! Linux uses ram as cache, this does not slow things down and the os will free up some ram if needed. Have you ever seen windows run this fast with similar hardware?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Purely out of curiosity: if the tablet is doing what you want, why is the amount of RAM a concern?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Purely out of curiosity: if the tablet is doing what you want, why is the amount of RAM a concern?

That sounds like a question Steve Jobs would ask.

But seriously, the answer is the same one tablet makers would have to why they spec the laptops with 1GB of ram. Is 1GB better than 512k and, if so, why?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
That sounds like a question Steve Jobs would ask.

But seriously, the answer is the same one tablet makers would have to why they spec the laptops with 1GB of ram. Is 1GB better than 512k and, if so, why?
But that doesn't answer the question... ;)

Ambrose1

May 16, 2012
Hello Friends !!
I read your all posts which is to much informative for me. I have gain a lots of knowledge.And I agree, But think
about this. If you build your computer, and buy 8G RAM, that's not going to be 8G since the OS will use some of it.
I like it. Great sharing !!!!

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Basically when you tablet is powered off you have 1gb of ram. After boot up android takes up some of the ram, then apps or processes that start with android take some ram. Finally any app that you open takes up more ram. Basically the more apps you run the less available ram you will have.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well, in a way, I agree. But think about this. If you build your computer, and buy 8G RAM, that's not going to be 8G since the OS will use some of it.

I mean Windows XP SP3 uses for me around 150M (!!!) when it's booted up, and that's with some extra drivers installed (like nVidia, Wacom tablet, etc). Are you telling me that the system on this tablet uses more RAM than Windows XP SP3!? Whoa!

XP SP 3 uses 150M???? Are you sure you're counting all your system resources?

Sorry I have to disagree. XP can use anywhere from 415M upwards. The more RAM you've got on the system the more it will use. Give WIN more memory it gets more hungry.

Android opens apps in a series of BUCKETS - as explained in the ANDROID development PAPER - makes good reading. Windows does not but manages the RAM in a way that does not stop "protection faults", BSODS and other general faults - caused by application software overwriting another applications area in memory. Still happens on WIN7 and VISTA. ANDROID does not allow this to happen. You also got to remember that the more widgets you have, the more resources they use - and they are nit part of the actual system OS. You haven't discriminated between the actual system OS and all the other additions. And have you included the WIN swap file as well? While WIN writes this to a disk or RAM or both - there are still the swapfile "hooks" taking up valuable resources.
Ever had the WIN system tell you resources are running low - and you don't have anything significant - 2 GB RAM mind you.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Basically when you tablet is powered off you have 1gb of ram. After boot up android takes up some of the ram, then apps or processes that start with android take some ram. Finally any app that you open takes up more ram. Basically the more apps you run the less available ram you will have.
Yeah you're right about that - and who cares about Steve Jobs anyway? He released his final product - idied.

Firstly, he couldn't hack the fact that ANDROID is (was in his case) better than iOS. And secondly, he didn't like the fact that GOOGLE bought it and gave him a run for his money. Sore Looser = Steve Jobs.

Last edited: