ICS update

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Did the update, all seemed ok till this pm my tablet is stuck on landscape mode and refuses to get to portrait. Pushing the button brings up an icon but has no effect, even when the lock shows open. Any ideas? Thanks.

Amir K9CHP Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Well, I did turn the tablet completely off a few times, but I don't remember if I played with the display switch after it was off, I definitely did while it was on. Yet, this am, all is fine, after being off, completely, and on the charger. Go figure! Thanks for the reply:)

Amir K9CHP Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet

Zeus64

Apr 28, 2012
I had the same problem, as well as one other poster I know of. What seemed to solve our problem was to shut the tablet the tablet off completely, then with it off, flip the lock switch back and forth a few times, then reboot and see if that helps. Good luck.

Thanks for that tip, frapshake. The accelerometer on my Acer tablet had been working perfectly fine until I got the update to Ice Cream Sandwich yesterday, and then suddenly my tablet couldn't detect rotation anymore. I was worried my tablet was permanently ruined after that, but then I read your advice about flipping the screen lock switch back and forth while the tablet is shut off, and it actually fixed the problem!

So, kudos for saving me from much frustration. :cool:

I wonder why this glitch even happened in the first place...

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
why do you start a new thread without first checking the other numberless threads on this subject.
More clutter on an already cluttered site.
If you would have checked the following thread you probably would have found some answers, or at least seen that you are not the first.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/38071-post-upgrade-kudos-komplaints.html
[url]http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/37865-a500-4-01-ics-update-happened-morning.html

[/URL]

Last edited:

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for that tip, frapshake. The accelerometer on my Acer tablet had been working perfectly fine until I got the update to Ice Cream Sandwich yesterday, and then suddenly my tablet couldn't detect rotation anymore. I was worried my tablet was permanently ruined after that, but then I read your advice about flipping the screen lock switch back and forth while the tablet is shut off, and it actually fixed the problem!

So, kudos for saving me from much frustration. :cool:

I wonder why this glitch even happened in the first place...

It is a strange glitch. I just hope it doesn't revert back to not working. I did notice a lot of people were complaining about the rotation problem in the Whirlpool forum too, so it sounds like a pretty common glitch. Glad it helped you. That's 3 or 4 of us that I know about, so this must be the solution.

jerry43812

Oct 3, 2011
I encountered the same problem tonight, and thought my poor tablet decided to quit being my favorite Android device. After finding this thread, I breathed new life into it :)

Ok, not that extreme. I'm happy I found the fix. Thanks given.

joelmatton

May 2, 2012
I'm having the same problem with the A500. Currently stuck in landscape mode cant get out of it. Tried turning off, flipping the switch etc... nothing seems to help.