Internal Flash Memory

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I noticed in some of the threads, it seems like folks are saying that they took the internal flash memory out, and the replaced it. In one or two cases, it seems like they replaced it with a bigger flash card.

I know it's a little more involved that how it sounds, but is correct? Is the internal memory for where applications are stored a simple flash memory card? Can you really upgrade it by replacing with a bigger card? If you do, is there any real advantage? Does it only use it for applications and databases and will it be able to take advantage of the larger memory card? Is is there are certain point where you're wasting space cause it would never need that much for the internal card?

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
No, the program and system memory is set, but there is a mini sd card internally that can be upgraded for storage and program use, like readers store books on the card. Some units come with 2 gig cards, the earlier models all had 1 gig cards. Fairly simple to put in bigger sd cards, pop the back and there is a silver metal clip that holds the card in, it slides and then swings up to release the card.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Okay. So replacing the card doesn't increase the space for being able to install programs, it only increases the space those programs have for storing data?

Since this is space for the programs to store data, would it be safe to assume then that it is not normally available (without root/superuser,etc) or intended for the user to store files/data on that memory card?
Is there a pratical limit to the size of replacement card? For instance, you'd never need more than 4GB unless you planned to download the entire LibOCongress, cause you'd never need that much space anyhow...

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
Okay. So replacing the card doesn't increase the space for being able to install programs, it only increases the space those programs have for storing data?

Since this is space for the programs to store data, would it be safe to assume then that it is not normally available (without root/superuser,etc) or intended for the user to store files/data on that memory card?
Is there a pratical limit to the size of replacement card? For instance, you'd never need more than 4GB unless you planned to download the entire LibOCongress, cause you'd never need that much space anyhow...

Correct according to my understanding to the first paragraph. As to the second I do not know for sure. As to the size, I'm thinking you are right on 4 gig being adequate.

Apr 26, 2011
Correct according to my understanding to the first paragraph. As to the second I do not know for sure. As to the size, I'm thinking you are right on 4 gig being adequate.

I think you forgot to say that this is only true for the White 7" Novel.

I have a 2GB Black and a QVC 4GB PDN and they are the same basic MB without a mini-SD card inside.

I don't know for sure about the latest 7" nor the 9", but I've seen breakdown picktures of the inside if the White PDN and it's got a compleatly different MB. (The two PDN's I have I had cannableized from four broken PDN's and the boards have no mini-SD cards on them.)

What I've gathered from other threads is that at least part of the OS is stored on the flash drive inside. (This is why you have less onboard flash memory then you would think.)

If the onboard mini-SD card is changed then an OS update via an external slot SD card is a must. Just follow update directions... (at least I would think thats how it should go, anyway.) I haven't read them but I've seen titles of forums that talk about problems with changing the onboard mini-SD card.