is there a simple way to get my dvd content onto my Gtablet?

May 4, 2011
I just bought a barely used table ( 1 month old).. It is running Vegan. The three uses I need from it are email, office, and watching my dvd collection. I have figured out the first two but am clueless as to the best way to get video content into this tablet.

I have purchased a 16 gb micro sd card so I can get content onto it because my laptop has a dvd player. When I copy to the micro SD, is there a format I should convert to?

Is there a stable app for playing the video?

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
There are a number of ways to view your dvd collection. Most of your options will require you to convert your dvd's into some sort of digital format - mkv, avi, etc. A couple of good programs are MakeMKV, which is relatively simple to use with just a few clicks. MakeMKV does not compress the video so you get the same quality video when you are finished as when you started. Another good option is Handbrake, which is a little more difficult to understand but gives you a lot of options for file types, compression options, etc. I make mkv files mostly, however a caviat here is that some players won't recognize them.

Once you create the files, you can load them on your gTab and play them either using a usb thumb drive or connecting to your computer and copying it. You can also setup streaming from your computer via the network - and there are a number of options for that setup. The easiest is to copy the files or use a thumb drive.

There are a number of different apps for viewing the videos once you've created the files - RockPlayer and Doubletwist are two that I use. You may have to test them depending on the type of file you end up creating.

gadgetman404

Dec 12, 2010
i use act 1 player - act 1.apk plays avi mp4 so convert it using dvd shrink cuts out addverts interviews etc then compress 4.5 gb to about 800 mb then i use mpc star converts any format dvd fly avi to mp4 about 350 mb i got hi pad or wow pad x220 it plays every format no problem

Last edited by a moderator:

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
i use act 1 player - act 1.apk plays avi mp4 so convert it using dvd shrink cuts out addverts interviews etc then compress 4.5 gb to about 800 mb then i use mpc star converts any format dvd fly avi to mp4 about 350 mb i got hi pad or wow pad x220 it plays every format no problem

@gadget - could you clarify your sentence. Kinda' ran together. Appears you are running through 2 different converters
for a player. Not sure what are the programs and what are the operation they are performing. Thanks for
helping... Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Sal33n

May 13, 2011
This is what Gadgetman is saying:

-He uses an app on his pad called Act1 for viewing video
-He uses a program on his computer called DVD Shrink to take the raw DVD movie and rip it, removing all the extra stuff on a DVD except for the movie/video itself. This program also compresses the raw file down to a smaller size so you can fit more movies onto a memory card.
- He uses another program on his pc called MPC Star to take that compressed DVD file and convert it into any one of several formats that the tab player can view, like AVI or MP4 or whatever... Although I looked up MPC Star on the web and it appears to only be a player and not a converter so maybe he is confused and actually uses another program to convert or MPC Star has that functionalilty built in that I did not see on their website.

Rags

May 22, 2011
Okay, I am a newbie to tablets but I have been playing around with my Viewsonic G Tablet and here is what I did to watch one of my DVDs on my G Tablet. First, you will need a DVD ripping application. (Please ensure that you follow your local & federal laws and regulations.) Also, please note that I am using VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b5.1.1 - I am not sure if all ROMs use the same default video player.

1. I downloaded and installed Magic DVD Ripper (they have a 30 day trial so you can test this out to verify it works for you before buying it).
2. Using Magic DVD Ripper on your computer, change the output to Motorola Droid_MP4. This format played without any issues on the default video player.
3. Transfer the video file to your G Tablet. (I did so via USB cable.)

All in all, the process was very simple once I used the right application! I read through many posts (including this one) trying to figure out what I needed to do and ended up with the solution above. Ripping with Magic DVD Ripper to the Motorola Droid_MP4 format is a one step process to create a video file that you can watch on your G Tablet. I am very happy with it but I have one question that I have sent to the vendor about future updates to allow ripping Blu-Ray discs. If they are working on that, I will gladly spend the ~USD35.00 to buy this application! :)

Hope this helps...

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
You should give handbrake a try. The user interface has gotten easy to use, you can use a number a preset compression settings or use custom settings, and its free.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Android Tablet Forum

May 4, 2011
thanks for the help guys.

I tried the 30 day trial version of Magic DVD Ripper and it works. Of the 16 hours recorded so far, only one dud. I re-ripped it and all is good.

I have a bunch of 4 Gig USB flash drive so I am dumping the mp4 files onto that. I can get 6-8 hours per drive. I go to the main screen on the tablet, click on file mamager and select the usb drive. Click on the video you want and the Viewsonic is now a video player.

The only thing I would like is a genuine freeware DVD Ripper. I have the 30 day trial version. If I can't find a true freeware ripper, I will buy it. If anyone has ideas...

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Give this freeware a try Free Video Converter | Convert Video Formats Free | Freemake

Best paid program you can probably use is DVDCatalyst. It's $9.99. The developer is one of our Supporting Vendors in many of our forums.
Can't go wrong with his software...;)

DVDCatalyst is the very best. It is, perhaps, the only one that can handle the removal of black bars effectively. The app can rip dvd's on the fly or convert in batch mode. Free media server is included. Mitch, the app developer, is great in support.

I'd have a computer on a network, which configures a share for all ripped dvd's. Then on the gtablet, I'd run UPnPlay and RockPlayer to stream the video.

Dave,

sunny1220

May 17, 2011
I just got dvd catalyst and tried to do a convert a movie based on the 'gtablet' setting and it's pretty choppy with no volume. What settings should I use? And does it matter that I am running Vegan Ginger Edition?

Thanks

beastman

May 8, 2011
I used dvdfab ripper to rip the dvd and Qqplayer to watch on my tablet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum