Looking for serious multi-purpose (non-existent yet) tablet

jcrocks

Jul 8, 2011
I am a newbie. I have been communicating with a variety of tech publications incl Walt Mossberg, WSJ. But no serious response. I do not own a tablet right now but want to propose features that can be incorporated to the current crop. You folks can chime in (with respect) if you think my ideas are plausible.

Full disclosure. Currently, I am not a fan of the crop of tablets in the market today. What is out there (regardless of brand) are just pure "gadgets" for me. I do not do social networking nor games. I realize that I am in the minority in the high-tech populace.

I will consider a tablet with the configuration below to trim my techie equipment inventory. I believe this would be a truly PORTABLE, POWERFUL, SINGLE COMBINATION alternative to having (1) a communication/convenience/entertainment" device (tablet) AND (2) a PC for serious professional computing work, should I need to do some.
  • Samsung Galaxy-like form factor (or maybe even slightly larger or heavier)
  • Full Cell phone call capable (CDMA/GSM) - 3 or 4G thru BT (either on ear device or car's BT wireless communicator) - not just Google Talk or Skype
  • Web-access wireless card (a/b/g/n)
  • BT enabled to pair with my car's BT audio system wireless connection to play music stored in the tablet and other BT capable devices (tech already available)
  • Semi-full size BT keyboard/case (tech already available)
  • Available USB2 or 3 port/s
  • Available docking device to connect to an external larger LCD monitor, full-size keyboard, printer, optical drive, external HD, etc (?) to really replace my office/home notebook
  • Enough processor power (Intel/AMD dual core or higher), storage to support a full PC OS (Windows 7/8 or Mac OS), Internet Browser (IE9, FF5, Chrome, Safari, etc) and APPLICATION PROGRAMS AND DATA!
  • Sufficient battery life (replaceable) with AC/DC charging/connectivity capability
  • ???????
Do you think this config for a tablet system has market and production potential? Or better yet, is there one already out there? I know that the technology to accomplish all of these exist already. It just takes somebody to put it all together.

Your professional insights are greatly appreciated.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
You've pretty much described a netbook, especially since you're going to be dragging a "Semi-full size BT keyboard/case" around in addition to the tablet. I'm also not sure of the market potential for what you describe, because the price point would be such that even you would not want to pay for it. Many people get these tablets because iPads are too expensive, I'm afraid your tablet would make an iPad seem like a real bargain.

jcrocks

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for replying.

If I'm not mistaken, most tablets now can be had with a case that also has a BT keyboard. That is fine with me and all I need (for a keyboard), not a full size one. Regarding netbooks, do they have Android ones now with touchscreen and Apps available?

Thanks.

Jun 29, 2011
Except for the phone and full Windows my Tab 10.1 would do you proud. I already had a desktop and Splashtop allows me remote access with full capability of the desktop. I kinda understand where you are coming from on the phone part but don't see that coming just yet to the tablet world.
The way everything is progressing on the tablet front it won't be too long until everything on your list, and more , will be a reality. Amazon has a quad core Android tablet scheduled for release later this year whereas a year ago dual core was just on a list of desires for the next step.
In a year I'd be surprised if anyone still felt the need for a Windows 7 sized os and I've already get a browser on my Tab and one on my Ipad that emulates ie8
My USB adapter should allow me full access to mouse, printer, etc when it arrives this week and I've already got a bluetooth keyboard

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:

jcrocks

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks again for the thread reply.

But that is my point. I want to get rid of my home notebook and and my Droid Incredible and replace them with a tablet that is portable, a communication device, more apps/programs and powerful enough to perform serious IT work when I get home and dock it to connect to all the devices that I mentioned earlier.

If I'm wishfully thinking, so be it. But I believe with the quantum exponential developments happening in this area, I believe it just takes one mfr to think out of the box and DO IT! Just look at the savings in both practicality and financial economy that it will produce.

If it is not forthcoming in the near future, then I guess I will wait. You can label me as a dreamer but I do believe that I do not have to wait too long.

Thanks.

Jun 29, 2011
Gene Roddenberry was considered a dreamer. Look how that turned out.
Before him was the show UFO by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson with their portable car phones, cordless telephones, reusable shuttles to the moon and back, and computers that aimed the weapons and fired because the aliens were going too fast for the human mind to aim correctly. Ah the good old days when computers took up whole buildings just to calculate how much natural gas you used that month after the man came and read the meter by hand and we got a paper punch card for a bill.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mar 30, 2011
IMO using a tablet as a phone is/would be cumbersome and unrealistic. There is a windows tab coming out which might better suit you. Running a bloated windows OS on an android device defeats the purpose of having a lightweight OS. On most tabs there are apps to make calls, they all have the same basic form factor (give hotspot takeba few ounces), have popular ports (USB, HDMI, SD), connect via wifi or 3/4g, and can be paired with BT keyboards.

jcrocks

Jul 8, 2011
Yes, Droid-Xer, putting your tablet on your ear to listen/make a phone call IS cumbersome - if that is what you are referring. That is not my point. I am for having the cell capability with BT Switch Receiver/Mic device on your ear.

Thanks, Mountainbikermark, for your comments. If you are in the active service in one of the conflict areas, thanks for your sacrifice. May God protect you from harm.

jcrocks

Jul 8, 2011
Slowly but surely, we are making progress.

Toshiba just announced a tablet with most of the stuff I originally wanted. And I applaud them for their trail blazing.

The Toshiba Thrive tablet highlight specs are the following:
  • For this highest end prebuilt model with 32GB HD memory - $580 (retail)
  • Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) OS
  • NVIDIA “Tegra2” 1GHz Dual-core mobile processor
  • 1GB DDR2 RAM
  • 10.1” Hi-Res 1280x800 touchscreen display, 16x10 aspect ratio
  • 1.6 lbs, 0.62” thick x 11” long x 7” wide
  • Front (2MP) and Rear (5MP) webcams
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0
  • Flash support
  • Replaceable/rechargeable battery
  • DOCKING STATION (0.45 lb, $60)
    • AC/DC power charger/adapter
    • HDMI output
    • (2) SD card ports
    • 3.5mm Headphone jack and Stereo speakers
  • Access to the Android Market and other Apps resources
BUT STILL HAS NO CELL PHONE CAPABILITY.

Walt Mossberg (WSJ Tech Guru and Apple groupie) gave it a lukewarm review yesterday. What would I expect! But even Walt says that Toshiba is working on a model with cellular connectivity for 2011 fourth qtr. Can’t wait!

I’d say this is just a “beta” model for me. And I know it is pricey compared to the current tablets but the preliminary specs blew me away (a bit). I knew it can be done! Toshiba, more development please. Thank you.

Detailed current specs URL:
Thrive™ 10-inch (32GB)

Docking Station specs URL:
Toshiba Multi Dock with HDMI (for 10-inch Tablet PC series)

Will still wait.

FYI, for those interested.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Slowly but surely, we are making progress.

Toshiba just announced a tablet with most of the stuff I originally wanted. And I applaud them for their trail blazing.
You mentioned you don't have a tablet yet- but from my experience in the real world of tablets... just because a feature's advertised by the manufacturer doesn't mean it actually works on the tablet.
I buy my tablets at local stores with decent return policies now- you may want to keep that in mind when you're ready to pull the trigger.

veegee

Mar 30, 2011
Notion Ink Adam: Features It is called Adam. A tablet PC using a dual core 1.0 GHz processor.
The most advanced display. " . . the revolutionary hybrid 10-inch PixelQi transflective touch screen display". 16 hours battery life. Can be extended to 160 hours by opting black and white display. There is much more. Sales is on from 2010 onwards. Around 350 dollars.
http://www.gizmag.com/hp-touchpad-4...aign=d2d428f388-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email
HP Touchpad 4G to launch on AT&T. 1.5 GHz Qualcom Snapdragon Dual core processor. Web OS Tablet. Wireless keyboard and charging dock optional.

Last edited:

jcrocks

Jul 8, 2011
RobDroid, thanks for the warning. I know what you mean. Have had experience suing BestBuy and won for defective notebook. Surely will not buy the first model. Will let it shake down/fix its bugs.

rogermumbai

Jul 17, 2011
I have just bought an Olive Pad VT100...Though not a super-tablet you desire, it incorporates most of your needs, including phone. Coupled with SwiftKey Tablet X, it works great...Only, it's not a full-fledged computer.

Here are the specs:

7-inch capacitive TFT touchscreen display
800x400 WVGA resolution
Android Froyo 2.2 OS
Processor : ARM11 600MHz
Chipset : Qualcomm MSM7227
512MB flash memory, expandable upto 32GB
3240mAh Li-Polymer battery
Connectivity: Wi-Fi (802.22b/g), Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, 3G, GPS
3.5mm audio jack, mini USB, microSD card slot, SIM card slot
3MP camera (front) VGA camera (back)
Microphone/ speaker
G-sensor, E-compass sensor, ambient light sensor

All yours for < $350...BT headset extra :)

Here's the link: Olive Pad V-T100, Tablet PC India, Tablet PC, Android Tablet, Best, 3G

Check it out!