Major Internet Connection Issues

mommyrn98

Dec 26, 2011
I have searched the forum, but can't find an answer I am comfortable with trying...sorry I am not quite ok with disassembling the tablet to add an antenna extension. Anyway, I am able to connect via wi-fi for about a minute, then it disconnects. I tried using the transfer box to connect the ethernet cable directly from my DSL box, but the tablet doesn't seem to recognize that it is connected.

Oh, btw, this is a WM8650. All specs are listed below as I saw them when I ordered it. This was a "Santa" gift for my 10 year old, so he is pretty bummed that he can't get online long enough to use the market to download apps.

[FONT=&#23435]Sort
[FONT=&#23435]Item
[FONT=&#23435]Description
System
CPU
VIA 8650( 800MHZ)
Operation System
android 2.2
RAM
Hyunda 256MB DDR2
NAND Flash
Samsung 2GB(FAT Disc Format) Flash
External Flash
TF X1(Maximum 32GB)
Touch Screen
2-Point Pure Touching for Pictures,Zoom In/Out the pictures Via 2 points
Display System
Screen
7”Touch screen 16:9/Resolution:800*480
Menu Langue
Chinese、English、Korean、Japanese、Russian、French、German many languages
Network
Communication software
Fring;Skype Out;MSN;Skype and Gtalk
Support G-mail;Yahoo mail;Hotmail.POP3 and SMTP account
3G
Support external 3G
WIFI
802.11b/g
Audio play
Format
Support format:MP2,MP3,WMA,OGG,AAC,M4A,MA4,FLAC,APE;Support song list function
SNR
Over 90dB
Other
Support LRC;Support sound effect
Video play
Support format
Support format:3GP,MPEG1/2/4,FLV,MJPG,H263,H264;Support 720p playing
Display type
16:9
Flash
Support Adobe flash10.1 player
Camera
0.3MP
I/O
OGT(dc partner)
Not support
Reset hole
Hide(Restart function)
TF card slot
TF Slot X1
USB
30pin or 24pin data interface,USB2.0 High-Speed
Audio Out
Stereo Audio Out X1
Earphone Out
3.5mm
MIC
Microphone in X1
Recharge
Small charger interface, DC9V Input
Power supply
Battery
Rechargeable Li-Polyer :2600MAh,7.4V
Additional Function
Weather
Clock;Calendar;Calculator;Contacts;Picture Capture
E-Book
Support format:TXT,CHM,UMD,PDB,PDF ;
Office software
With E-Book function,office word processing and document to go(Microsoft word, Excel,PPT and PDF)
Picture browser
Support Format:JPG,BMP,PNG,GIF
Orientation sensor
G-sensor,automatic steering display screen
other
Support Google map and markert,you can download more than 20,000 applications.Support the firmware upgrade function;Support online video;Customizes your desktop;Change the font color

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]Packet content:

• 100% Brand New
  • 1x MID E18 7" touch screen 2.2 8650 Tablet PC
*******************************************************************************************************************
Thanks so much for any help you can give me. I consider myself to be proficient in setup, but not an expert, so you may have to "dummy it down" for me! LOL:confused:

evelynmarsh

Dec 26, 2011
hi,
i cant offer a soloution but i have exactly the same problem, i bought 4 of these for my 4 children and unfortunately only 3 of them will connect to the wifi, its actually quite strange as the one that doesnt work belongs to my 10 year old, really hope you manage to sort it out,i think im going to end up sending this one back as the other 3 will connect straight away via this wifi ?

paskuniag

May 14, 2011
Welcome to the magic world of "WonderMedia". I have the same problem with the transfer box being recognized by the tablet. However, the tablet reads SD cards okay, so the problem is with the box (I'm looking to see what I can get to replace it.).
What you need for multiple wi-fi connections is a router. Check with your local cable provider and see if they can help you. Otherwise, go to your local PC store and tell the salesperson you need a router. Don't pay a lot for it; you can get a good router for less than 50 bucks.
The tablet is very versatile, and is easily rooted with the z4 root app, which you can get at Applanet, a far better app site than the one that came with the tab.
Good luck!

Last edited:

husker76

Jan 7, 2012
I also have a VIA 8650 I got this week. I can connect with the transfer box and using the ethernet hook up but not very convenient. When I click on Turn On Wifi, it searches then tells me "Unable to scan for networks". Do I need to update some software or something? The company said I needed to change some wifi settings "Dear friend, Go to wifi setting—push the button menu, and then advanced, choose wifi-sleep policy (never). Please try it again, if it still doesn't work, you can see contact us again. Sorry for the inconvenient cause you. " Unfortunately, it doesn't give me the option to do this. Any help at all would be wonderful! Thanks!

husker76

Jan 7, 2012
I have tried at McDonald's and at my place of work and it does not detect any available networks but on my ipod I can see several and just connected now with a bridge we have available at work. I'm suspecting that it is a software issue but don't have any idea how to fix or where to update....

rsalter1

Jan 4, 2012
To Mommyrn98, If your child's tablet will connect to wifi, but does not stay connected the problem is probably the security setting on your router. Pack up the kid and the tablet and head over to McDonalds or the library where there is free, open wifi and try it there to confirm. Let me know if it works (or not) there and we'll try something else.

aquatarkus

Dec 29, 2011
I posted on another thread a while ago about trying different security settings ie no security, wep, wpa etc and thought that i'd sorted my problems by changing the router (netgear WNR2200) and using a secondary wireless network.
Well it worked for a while then back to the smae problems no connection, wouldn't scan, no networks found etc.
the issue is nothing to do with the make of the router nor what the security is set to the problem is the crap wireless chip in these cheap tablets and some very poor software (drivers) for the wireless card. appears after testing about 15 different versions of these tablet for people at work etc that they all suffer with the same problem some more than others. 5 of the tablets i have tested are identical (all brought from the same supplier at the same time) 3 of them will not work even with no security tried Mcdonalds, Starbucks, Costa etc all with same result the other 2 work all the time. have opened up 2 of them (1 that worked and 1 that wouldn't) and have found that the quality of construction between units is shocking, appears to be no quality control at all, the one that worked also appeared to have a slightly different wif fi circuit board.
I have tried the aerial mod but thatdidn't make any difference.
think you really get what you pay for with these cheap tablets, the only ones we have working all the time now at work are Binatone and Scroll Essential Tablet PC - Tablet PCs | Ebuyer.com these are both cheap but are made to a much higher standard than the no name chinese ones we are all having problems with.

Regards
Aquatarkus

gdavalos

Jan 10, 2012
problem solved
I have wonder media wm8650 Wifi problem, I disabled wifi, then i cant connect to wifi anymore,

(at least it works for me, i have 2 identical wonder media wm8650 with same wfi problem):

the solution is: activate wifi, and inmediately turn off the tablet (while activating wifi), when you turn on again, the wifi is now activated and connected, it works for me

Kind regards

husker76

Jan 7, 2012
gdavalos -
How did you disable the wifi and then activate it again? I am not able to get to any administrator type settings at all on my tablet. Thanks

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Hi i have a mid0703 (i think?)i had similar probs so i rooted the tab using uberoid. You can find info on this forum for installing this rom. My tab would struggle still. I found that my router was set to802.11bgn, i altered this to 802.11 bg only and it was fine. Dont expect miracles..you need to be fairly close to your router for it to be problem free as there is no proper wifi aerial inside. Its part of the pcb. Check your router settings 1st and apply this change.it may be all you need.good luck.

Sent from my WM8650 using Android Tablet Forum