memory card

philmoore6

Nov 22, 2011
i recently bought android tablet 2.2 for my granddaughter. i am now looking to get an sd card for her to help load things on to it
can anybody tell me what i need and best place to purchase the slot on the tablet looks very small
so i would appreciate any help
phillip moore

bezoar

Oct 4, 2011
I don't know what kind of tablet you have but you probably have a MicroSD slot. Standard sizes up to 32 gigabytes can be used. You can store media files on the external card such as photos, music, documents, or videos. I would recommend getting a MicroSD card that comes with an adapter that lets you use it in a standard SD slot such as a Computer card reader. There is also a MiniSD card size that is available but is not commonly used.

If you're not sure what kind of slot you have, check the documentation that came with your tablet or take it to someplace like Office Depot where someone can help you figure out what kind of card you need and will be happy to sell you one.

The cheapest place to buy a card would be online such as Newegg or Supermediastore if you're sure you know what you want.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Welcome to the board! You can try New Egg too, they have all kinds of electronics and SD cards are easy to be had there. :)

Last edited:

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
When shopping for a microSD card, a class 4 or better card will work fine for a tablet. The higher the class, the faster the data transfer speeds will be (and the higher the price). While a class 10 card will work wonders for a point and shoot digital camera, especially if you are taking 1080 HD video, it will be overkill for a tablet. A 32 GB card will generally run around the $30-$40 range. I am partial to Sandisk memory cards, as they are the de facto standard when it comes to removable memory. They are also know to be very conservative when it comes to the speed rating of their cards (i.e. their Class 4 cards may actually be Class 6 cards, but rated lower).

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I didn't know that about Sandisk! :D So you think class 4 or 6 is about right for a tablet then jseah?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Congrats on the tablet for your granddaughter. As has been said most tablets are using micro SD cards. Fortunately, as has also been said, many micro SD cards do come with an adapter that makes them normal SD card size. This allows you to use the card in other devices or a standard card reader.

Micro SD cards are available at a wide variety of locations, Best Buy, Wal Mart, Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Radio Shack, Amazon, ebay and others. So you have plenty of options there. The biggest difference is gong to be in price but for the most part they are in the same range. This time of year you can find sales at many of the places listed so you might not have to scour the internet for a good price but it is probably worth your time to do a little price comparison of the convenient locations.

For a general use card I recommend an 8GB, class 4 micro SD card with an SD adapter. This will give you the most bang for your buck and options to use the card in a tablet or other device.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I didn't know that about Sandisk! :D So you think class 4 or 6 is about right for a tablet then jseah?

The class is important if you are shooting on a high end camera in RAW format where you need to write a huge amount of information to the card at once (taking the picture) or read a huge amount of data from the card at once (transfer the pictures to your computer).

For tablets that are using the SD card like a disk drive the class isn't as important as the small block random read/write speeds. In fact many class 2-6 cards will outperform higher class cards in tablet use if they have the better small block speeds. SanDisk is generally known to be better in this regard though it varies with each card since this aspect isn't tested as the cards are to receive their class rating.

You can use a program called crystal mark on your pc to see your card speeds and pick the best one for tablet use. More info can be found here xda-developers - View Single Post - SD Strange-results - or - How I learned to love CM7 on SD.

Since there is no way to know how a given card is going to perform until you've bought and tested it don't worry about this too much. Some cards will be better than others and that is just the way it is. If you want to try and improve your odds of getting a faster small block card though the rule of thumb is to get a SanDisk class 4 or 6.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
The class is important if you are shooting on a high end camera in RAW format where you need to write a huge amount of information to the card at once (taking the picture) or read a huge amount of data from the card at once (transfer the pictures to your computer).

For tablets that are using the SD card like a disk drive the class isn't as important as the small block random read/write speeds. In fact many class 2-6 cards will outperform higher class cards in tablet use if they have the better small block speeds. SanDisk is generally known to be better in this regard though it varies with each card since this aspect isn't tested as the cards are to receive their class rating.

You can use a program called crystal mark on your pc to see your card speeds and pick the best one for tablet use. More info can be found here xda-developers - View Single Post - SD Strange-results - or - How I learned to love CM7 on SD.

Since there is no way to know how a given card is going to perform until you've bought and tested it don't worry about this too much. Some cards will be better than others and that is just the way it is. If you want to try and improve your odds of getting a faster small block card though the rule of thumb is to get a SanDisk class 4 or 6.

Yeah, what he said. :p

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Great information J515OP! Thanks! :D I am sure the OP will appreciate the knowledge you've both shared on this subject. :D

philmoore6

Nov 22, 2011
thank you to all of you for your input

the information will be very helpful when i try to get the card needed

once again THANK YOU

PHILLIP

stocksj

Nov 22, 2011
When you get you micro-sd card, connect it to a card reader on your PC and preload it with whatever pictures and music you need to load on it. Access the card on Android may be diffcult.