MID 7046-4: "Restore System" or Original ROM.zip

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
yes, you're right, I feel very bad because my daughter can not use your wifi at home and I insisted for resolution

:( very sad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still hoping for someone to make a stock dump?? ? I have the same tablet with a cracked digitizer, but I use a mouse/OTG/USB connection to overcome the cracked digitizer problem. I've been waiting to find another used/new digitizer for this tablet. I haven't dumped it yet, but would be willing to. I'm not sure how to dump it exactly yet. It's a Telechips tablet, but I'm not sure if the partitions are laid out like a MID7048, so first I would need to confirm that the method I would use(dumping method for a MID7048) will work. Plus, I would need to root the unit I have and install updated busybox before I can do the dump.

Well, if you haven't further damaged the tablet,(by doing anything else) we might be able to fix your tablet using Vampirefo's "fake cwm recovery" and a Nandroid/cwm backup I DID already make for the tablet, if using the fake_7036_recovery was okay to use and make a backup on this device.(warm smilz) The fake cwm should work for all Telechips,(I think) but you might need to confirm and get that clockworkmod from Vampirefo first. I used it to repair my MID7036/replacement Hotatouch digitizer/missing drivers.(Thanks again Vampirefo!) So again, if you haven't messed the tablet up any further, and you haven't disposed of it, maybe we can still help you. Patience is key/paramount. As the guys here stated, when you get any tablet(new/used) FIRST thing is... MAKE a backup/sysytem dump/ROM dump! Do EVERYTHING/ANYTHING you can that's possible to have a way to revive/fix a tablet, should you "screw" it up/mess around with the working unit. NEVER do anything to ANY tablet without FIRST doing a dump/backup. There won't always be somebody there(right away) to save you!(warm smilz)
Hope everyone's having a great day, and a New Year!

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
could be in 5 minutes, could be in 5 days, could be never. You can't estimate what other people are going to do.

Sent from my Coby 9740 Mobiz Android Tablet
-----------------------------------
Could even be in 5 months and a day!(warm smilz) Well, still have to figure out how to properly make a dump from this unit first.(smilz)
Hey Vampirefo, hope you're havin' a GREAT day!
Best regards always,

Todd in COLD Oregon(smilz)

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
could be in 5 minutes, could be in 5 days, could be never. You can't estimate what other people are going to do.

Sent from my Coby 9740 Mobiz Android Tablet

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the cwm backup I made so far from the tablet.(if I was correct in my method of using the fake_7036_recovery to make it):

mid7046_stock_cw_backup

You'll need Vamipirefo's fake_7036_recovery.zip(or another specified by him) to restore it. So check with him first.(when he has time and is available)

I hope this helps, but I'm not 100% sure it will. Use it at your own risk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have to go fill in for my dad from 1:pM to 5:pM,(Pacific Standard Time) so I'll be away until this evening.

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Pretty sure it's rooted, but the busybox install, I'm not 100% sure if it took. But anyway...

C:\mid7046>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock2 /system yaffs2 ro,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/sys/kernel/debug /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/vold/240:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime
=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/240:1 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_
utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

--------------------------------------------

shell@android:/ $ cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

31 0 10240 mtdblock0
31 1 5120 mtdblock1
31 2 389120 mtdblock2
31 3 4096 mtdblock3
31 4 524288 mtdblock4
31 5 1572864 mtdblock5
31 6 10240 mtdblock6
31 7 1024 mtdblock7
31 8 1024 mtdblock8
240 0 1421312 ndda
240 1 1421296 ndda1

shell@android:/ $ cat /proc/mtd
cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00a00000 00100000 "boot"
mtd1: 00500000 00100000 "kpanic"
mtd2: 17c00000 00100000 "system"
mtd3: 00400000 00100000 "splash"
mtd4: 20000000 00100000 "cache"
mtd5: 60000000 00100000 "userdata"
mtd6: 00a00000 00100000 "recovery"
mtd7: 00100000 00100000 "misc"
mtd8: 00100000 00100000 "tcc"

--------------------------------------

This is what I was afraid of...

shell@android:/ $ busybox df -h
busybox df -h
/system/bin/sh: busybox: not found
127|shell@android:/

----------------------------------------

shell@android:/ $ lsmod
lsmod
vpu_encoder 5027 0 - Live 0xbf267000
vpu_decoder_ext 6921 0 - Live 0xbf262000
vpu_decoder 6880 0 - Live 0xbf25d000
vpu_manager 437444 3 vpu_encoder,vpu_decoder_ext,vpu_decoder, Live 0xbf1ed000
ufsd 378330 0 - Live 0xbf17e000 (P)
tcc_ndd 7292 2 - Live 0xbf178000 (P)
tcc_mtd 7058 6 - Live 0xbf173000
tcc_nand 1471169 2 tcc_ndd,tcc_mtd, Live 0xbf000000 (P)

-----------------------------------------------
All of these commands (and outputs) shown above are thanks to Vampirefo's kind guidance in another thread/post. Thanks again kind sir.(warm smilz)

Now,... if I can just get busybox to push over to the device correctly. Oh ya, and the correct busybox for a 7046.(smilz) This one is from the "Coby 7048" thread. Incorrect/incompatible I imagine.
How many flavors of busybox can there be RIGHT?!LOLLLLllllllll(smilz)

I don't think it's possible to dump without a working busybox. In fact, I would be willing to wager a slice or two of pizza on it.(if I had any)

----------------------------------------------------
This was from original post:(on the other thread)

quote..."Why do you need superuser app?

download su_app.zip

extract

adb push su /data/local/tmp/su

adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk

adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox

adb push install-sup /data/local/tmp/install-sup

adb shell

su

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-sup

/data/local/tmp/install-sup ".

----------
su is there, and works fine, but busybox is not happening. I have NO IDEA what I'm doing in the first place!LOL But I just have to try.(sighs) I do have a busybox APK, I could just place it on my microSD, but that's the easy way!LOL No, I have to figure this out.(maybe)(warm smilz)

I haven't "gapp-ed" this thing because the whole idea here is to keep it "stock" as much as humanly possible, then make a dump. If it had gapps, I'd simply walk to the office(where the WiFi router is located) and install it from googleplay.

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
I must have been mucking it up a bit. Retried the...
adb push su /data/local/tmp/su

adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk

adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox

adb push install-sup /data/local/tmp/install-sup

adb shell

su

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-sup

/data/local/tmp/install-sup
rebooted, and finally got what I was hoping for.(I think.)
---------------
shell@android:/ $ busybox df -h
busybox df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 178.9M 32.0K 178.9M 0% /dev
tmpfs 178.9M 0 178.9M 0% /mnt/asec
tmpfs 178.9M 0 178.9M 0% /mnt/obb
/dev/block/mtdblock2 380.0M 256.5M 123.5M 68% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock5 1.5G 80.6M 1.4G 5% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock4 512.0M 9.0M 503.0M 2% /cache
/dev/block/vold/240:1
1.3G 2.4M 1.3G 0% /mnt/sdcard
df: /mnt/secure/asec: Permission denied

------------------------------------------------
So I guess I can try to do a proper dump now.(I know, it sounds...smilz) Gotta have dump. In order to have dump, gotta have root/su/super user. Can't have/create proper dump without busybox installed.(correctly) And, must have correct su and busybox. SEE, that's why we ALWAYS make a dump before we go mucking/screwing/playing with our tablets without one!!! It's A LOT of work, trying to get a dump, so DON'T be lazy folks! Don't ALWAYS count on others to do the "legwork/work" for you! And finally(my rant) another reason to make a dump, is there are sometimes more than one type/design of tablets. They may look the same, but in fact the system is different.(So this dump I will make might not even work on some other devices that are labeled as Coby KYROS MID7046.) But we should ALWAYS make dumps!(even if the learning curve for some is a steep one) We need as many as possible, and as many possible of the same unit/s! The more we have to select from(more easily available they are) the EASIER it will be to find one on the net for fixin'/repairing things when they get messed up. I once fell asleep with a working tablet, woke up the next morning, only to find a tablet that wouldn't boot. Luckily, I had made a dump when I first got the tablet.(a gift) Luckily, I was curious(as I am most of the time) and in one of my Google searches, happened upon this great forum and site, which taught me the importance of creating a dump/backup. And if you come across a clockworkmod recovery for your device(or happen to have the aptitude to build your own) USE it! You won't regret it!
-------------------
Okay, I'm growing weary. I will rest up now, and do a mid7046 dump tomorrow morning.(when my mind is a little more fresh)LOL

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
------------------------------------------------
So I guess I can try to do a proper dump now.(I know, it sounds...smilz) Gotta have dump. Luckily, I had made a dump when I first got the tablet.(a gift) Luckily, I was curious(as I am most of the time) and in one of my Google searches, happened upon this great forum and site, which taught me the importance of creating a dump/backup. And if you come across a clockworkmod recovery for your device(or happen to have the aptitude to build your own) USE it! You won't regret it!
-------------------
Okay, I'm growing weary. I will rest up now, and do a mid7046 dump tomorrow morning.(when my mind is a little more fresh)LOL

Keep this up and you'll need a dump truck (yuk yuk). Good to hear from you. You certainly have been busy, thanks for all your contributions. Vamp may have developed the methods, but you my friend got the ball rolling, and it probably wouldn't have happened without you.

Stay as warm as you can... Stay out of that damned VORTEX !

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Keep this up and you'll need a dump truck (yuk yuk). Good to hear from you. You certainly have been busy, thanks for all your contributions. Vamp may have developed the methods, but you my friend got the ball rolling, and it probably wouldn't have happened without you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLllllllllllllllllllllllll

Great to hear from you tpaine!(smilz) Ya, you stay warm too!(smilz) Well, I know what keeps me up at nights. Or at least, I know what I tend to intermittently wake up to during the night. It's these Coby tablets, and the possibilities of making them work right.LOL Hope this person(I think they're in China) didn't up and toss a perfectly(alright slightly messed up) tablet in the garbage can, etc. How's things in your neck of the woods? Did you ever purchase one of those 8065 displays from oversees/China. I see them from time to time, and I notice they sometimes have special sale prices on them as low as $35.00 US.(or so)
I need to find a resistive screen eventually for this unit. (mid7046)
I use it as a charger for batteries the way she sits now. But I use your suggested method (USB OTG and a mouse) to communicate with it. It DOES work!(smilz) I think the dump from it will work out, if the original unit this guy/gal in China has for their daughter. That is, if they haven't already tossed/replaced it.LOL
Anyhow, thanks again for helping me with rooting/busyboxing/dumping that 8065 before. I guess you could say I am a Coby fan!LOLLLLLLLllllllllll
Take care and a Happy Be-Lated New Year to you and yours my friend!
Best regards always,

Todd

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
-----------------------------------
Could even be in 5 months and a day!(warm smilz) Well, still have to figure out how to properly make a dump from this unit first.(smilz)
Hey Vampirefo, hope you're havin' a GREAT day!
Best regards always,

Todd in COLD Oregon(smilz)
I am doing fine, I noticed ebay had some 7046 and 7047 for sale, I like to check ebay for tablets and or parts.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Glad to hear you're doing good! Ya, ebay has a lot of stuff to offer it seems!(warm smilz) It's hard to catch the auctions/win/etc. though. My dad let me borrow his credit card to set up a PayPal account recently because he noticed my enthusiasm for Coby tablets.(and I keep talking about all the great deals there)
He has a small(sort of way to make a little money) spot he rents in a large building with over 70 different vendors/people who sell stuff. That's where I help him a couple times a month, as each vendor is required to work the counter 4 hours each time, each month. My dad sells decorative glass paperweights and lighthouses he collects/buys from various second hand places. He cleans them up and sells them. I'm hoping to get him to sell his stuff on ebay and craigslist.(even amazon.com) As for me, I can't seem to let go of my Coby tablets.LOL (even the parts)LOL I have a bunch of "crunchy" broken digitizers even. Eventually, I know they need to be recycled, but maybe there's someone out there who might need/want to buy them still. "One man's junk, is another man's treasure."LOLLLLL When it comes to Coby, I see them ALL as treasure! Including the parts!(smilz)
So your work space/man cave is cluttered with Coby tablets and parts too then?? ? Well mine's not exactly cluttered. But I wouldn't mind if it had more!LOL
Glad to hear your doing fine! Now I have the PayPal, I'll definitely be buying you some coffee!(warm smilz) WELL DESERVED!!!(smilz)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess I can try to dump this 7046 now, but I have a funny feeling you might already have beat me to the punch.(smilz)
Most of what I got might be considered crap/junk by some, but the main thing is, I try to get some functionality out of it/them, and if I can, make a dump for myself and others, etc. I have a hunch you also know how hard it is to find a good used/new digitizer replacement at a reasonable price then too, huh? Oughtta have outlets in America, just for Chinese tablet parts/screens/digitizers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7046 and 7048 sure are a lot alike. I noticed the digitizers are different, and the 046 has no camera. Systems different but so similar to.(at least I think they are) Sure hope these dumps we make can have an impact/help others!(warm smilz) I KNOW your MANY creations and methods DO!!!(warm smilz)

Well, take care for now! Have a great day/night too!(warm smilz)

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Like sittin' on the trailing edge of a 747 wing.(warm smilz) Or similar. Damned vortexes anyway! Like somethin' right out of the Wizard of Oz.LOLLLlllll
Yup, stay out of the VORTEX, and stay out of the way of the flying debris too.(warm smilz)

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Okay, here we have a newly pulled rom dump from nearly stock(other than root and busybox for dumping purposes) Coby KYROS MID7046-4 system dump. When one of the senior forum members has time/can make time to examine this dump, and confirm it's valid, I (for one) would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day/night!(warm smilz)

coby_mid7046_telechips_stock_ics_4.0.3_rom_dump

build.prop information:

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=IML74K
ro.build.display.id=IML74K
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.20130204.151453
ro.build.version.sdk=15
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.0.3
ro.build.date=Mon Feb 4 15:15:33 CST 2013
ro.build.date.utc=1359962133
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=maji
ro.build.host=localhost
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=MID7046
ro.product.brand=COBY
ro.product.name=full_mid7046_usa
ro.product.device=mid7046_usa
ro.product.board=mid7046_usa
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=COBY
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tcc892x
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=mid7046_usa
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=full_mid7046_usa-user 4.0.3 IML74K eng.20130204.151453 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=COBY/full_mid7046_usa/mid7046_usa:4.0.3/IML74K/eng.20130204.151453:user/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet,sdcard
# end build properties

----------------------------------------------------------
None of this would have been possible, had it not been for Vampirefo and his creations/recoveries and methods for use with the Telechips tablets. So when you have some time, please thank him properly for ALL his time, energy, and hard work in examining, becoming familiar with, and then building the necessary code/software so that we may all revive our broken tablets.(warm smilz)
Simply say thanks. Better yet, buy the man a well deserved coffee.

Thanks, and I hope this helps Shenmue191078!(smilz)

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Vampirefo, thanks again for making this all possible.(warm smilz) I couldn't have dumped it in the first place without the coding, methods, other posts which you have kindly contributed to. Thanks again!
tpaine, thanks again to you for teaching me how to root/dump the 8065. Vampire, for your recent help with my 7036 digitizer/drivers dilemma!(smilz)
The more time I spend on this forum, my knowledge base seems to be growing. Thanks to everyone for that!
Have a good one!
Be safe