MID7024 "Low Phone Memory" error after updating firmware

Oct 14, 2011
Hey this is my first post, first android device period, love this little guy, it would lock up from time to time, never rooted it, never abused, but the occasional locking up, or screen just turning on in the middle of the night and going to the home screen for no reason bothered me, when I noticed Coby had a firmware update that supposedly fixed these, I applied it, it worked better for a week...

Then two days ago, two days after my Amazon 1mo return guarantee ran out, it rebooted to the original default desktop, with a little icon at the top left of a HDD and a !, stated the "Phone Memory Low" and when you click on it, it takes you to the apps that you have installed, it removed all of my apps, all of my saved documents, I thought that was a bummer, until I tried to do anything, it tells me my memory is too low to install anything, wont let me uninstall anything (all it has now is the default apps), and I can rerun the update to get it working for maybe an hour at a time, but eventually after I do that it'll lock up again, and then shut down, and when I restart it, it has the default home screen again.

When I try to recover now, holding down menu/back and power, it gets stuck at "Makeing partitions...", then I let it run for four hours like that thinking it was just taking it's time, nothing, so then I reboot with the firmware update, that gets stuck at "writing user data" indefinitely, but then if I reboot it'll go back at least to the default screen.

When I hook it up to the USB it'll see the external MicroSD, but no longer detects the internal storage device built into the Kyros. Nor will the pre-installed file manager. Says it's "Missing" which leads me to believe it fried or something physical, but I don't see *how* that can be when I can install the firmware update, and it'll boot without the external SD card.

I realize that Coby isn't a premium brand, and I took a risk shelling out money on it, but I truly did love this little dude for the month he ran like a champ, and it's so disappointing that I can't seem to fix this, emailed their tech support on friday night when it happened, no response, I may call tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue, or more importantly, could point me in the right direction of fixing it without just shipping it back to Coby for an exchange or service. :/

Thanks in advance!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Looks like you have a defective internal microSD...

There are some tutorials around about how to open it and change the card. If it's out of warranty, you may want to give it a shot.

Oct 14, 2011
Thanks, and yeah it's definitely what it sounds like. :/ But I don't want to pop it open, I've had it for like 33, maybe 34 days now? I'm sure they'll fix it, or refurb me a "new" one if it comes to that, I was just hoping I was overlooking something simple, being a complete and utter noob to the Android scene.