My Personal Archos comparison 5/500 7 HT and 101

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I did a silly thing. At least it was silly to my wife. I bought both an Archos 5/500 and an Archos 101/16. I ordered the 5 after Thanksgiving and the 101 back in October. What is amazing is they arrived within two days of each other. (Last Friday) Sooo, I have been putting them through initial paces and will continue to update as my experience continues.

I am old school and find many YouTube vids boring Soooo, you get to look at my table. I hope you find it of interest. Now I just need to update my sig line. I will update this page as my experience continues between now and Christmas.

Archos.jpg

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Now you just need the Gen8 Hard Drive models
I myself ordered the Archos 70 250 GB Model, and it'll be arriving (according to Droidpad.com) on Dec 24th.

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
I wish you have also the 8 gen 70 so you can compare the screen of the 101 with it.
in my point of view, my archos 101 screen has the worst view angle I ever experienced so far on a lcd screen (black tones are really annoying whenever you move the angle a little). and have one of the lowest quality capacitive screen I experienced so far (we can see the wired that detect the pulse of your fingers). And when closed, the screen has a greenish color...

The reviews I have read on 70 indicate a quality screen unlike the 101.

but the good (inexpensive, have Froyo, bluetooth, full usb, expandable storage,...) of the 101 outtake the bad (bad lcd screen, not much ram, slow, crash often, got to crack it to get Market,...).

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I wish you have also the 8 gen 70 so you can compare the screen of the 101 with it.
in my point of view, my archos 101 screen has the worst view angle I ever experienced so far on a lcd screen (black tones are really annoying whenever you move the angle a little). and have one of the lowest quality capacitive screen I experienced so far (we can see the wired that detect the pulse of your fingers). And when closed, the screen has a greenish color...

The reviews I have read on 70 indicate a quality screen unlike the 101.

but the good (inexpensive, have Froyo, bluetooth, full usb, expandable storage,...) of the 101 outtake the bad (bad lcd screen, not much ram, slow, crash often, got to crack it to get Market,...).

Apologies, I forgot, Did you get the 8 or the 16? I am happy I got the 16, The screen is not that bad on mine. The bit annoying element is being able to see the filiment squares on the screen when powered, and it is black. background. But I am realizing I have not had to calibrate it since Friday and it is still reasonable on point.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I got the 8GB, but is there a difference with the 16GB except the storage?
More than likely just a different assembly line where they have the same components except for the Flash. I have seen robotic assemblers which are amazing as they wave solder in a precision I could never do.