NC rooted in dash

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nice! I have been planning this myself. Although I will probably end up going with a Gtab for its conectivity.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I want to know how he made the mount, because this would be awesome with my Huawei S7 since it actually has the GPS built into it.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I want to know how he made the mount, because this would be awesome with my Huawei S7 since it actually has the GPS built into it.

It looked like it was a 'book' cover that he put velcro on...flip it open and velcro to the dash, then it hangs right there...he is obviously using something like velcro to hold it on.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
I would definitely use something a little sturdier than velcro. Maybe some kind of tray/sleeve that fit onto a mounting bracket.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Well I don't have any ideas yet:) but It is getting the creative juices flowing

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I would definitely use something a little sturdier than velcro. Maybe some kind of tray/sleeve that fit onto a mounting bracket.

Don't underestimate the powers of velcro. It would actually be plenty sturdy just not very slightly, but I digress :) I don't think velcro is used at all.

From what I can see, the attachment is made by either 1) sliding the front of the cover between the two parts of the dash (into the crack between upper and lower) or 2) doing something like this but you can't quite make out the string that the front of the cover was slid through. (Skip to 3:02)

Last edited by a moderator:

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
That is definitely one way to make things happen. And you can believe me when I say that I know all about the power of velcro. I put it on the same pedestal as duct tape, bailing wire, and bubble gum. All make great temporary fixes for just about anything, but in the long run it would probably be better to have something a little more stable and solid. But all in all this is a great idea. When I get my 10"er I think I will be trying something like this too. That will make for one heck of a GPS for the van; in between telling me to turn in can keep the kids occupied with a movie or something.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Okay, now that I am home and can take advantage of a 24" monitor, I see that it was not velcro...sorry for the suggestion that it was.

Actually read his description and he says
The case is Barnes & Noble's own "Industriell" model, held up with a bungee cord.

and someone thought velcro was unsightly...haha, imagine having a bungee cord strapped across your dash!

Great idea nonetheless.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Whatever works really. I didn't intend anything either way about velcro, thus the :) It is just good to see one of these in a car and I was speculating on how it was done. I guess I could have just read the description *doh*