Newbie Tips for ZT280 C91?

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks a million...so do I just click on that link while on my tablet and the reboot using camera/power button?

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks a million...so do I just click on that link while on my tablet and the reboot using camera/power button?
It's better if you download it on a computer and then unzip there (use 7zip), then transfer the zt-update folder to the sdcard....

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
Ok,i'll do that.
Finally,how do I alternate between ICS and GB,if I decide to go back to ICS?

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Ok,i'll do that.
Finally,how do I alternate between ICS and GB,if I decide to go back to ICS?
You just need to put the zt-update folder with the ICS ROM files in it on your sdcard, and then flash your tablet again...

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Ok,i'll do that.Thanks
Cool, tell me how it goes for you.... I wonder if you'll see any improvement or will it just be the same?

(What time is it where you are? 1:47am? It's 8:47pm here in NYC...)

Last edited:

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
Yeh,its currently 10.10am here in Ireland. I went to bed last night as I was exhausted.I presume you're asleep so wont expect a reply until later.
I'm currently downloading the ICS and BG update that you posted on page 1,just wanna keep them on my laptop. I'll then save your new updated GB file to laptop. But I'm a little confused-theres already my ICS file in the zt updae folder on SD card so if I place the GB file in there,how will it know which file to update to??Sorry,but I'm not very tech minded!!

EDIT-I downloaded the 2 files on page 1 but neither will open on my laptop,says "windows cannot open this file" etc. The other file extracted no problem and is saved on my Desktop.

EDIT(2)-Netflix has sound but no picture on my version of ICS. Worked fine before I updated. But I think my version of ICS was an old one.

Last edited:

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Yeh,its currently 10.10am here in Ireland. I went to bed last night as I was exhausted.I presume you're asleep so wont expect a reply until later.
I'm currently downloading the ICS and BG update that you posted on page 1,just wanna keep them on my laptop. I'll then save your new updated GB file to laptop. But I'm a little confused-theres already my ICS file in the zt updae folder on SD card so if I place the GB file in there,how will it know which file to update to??Sorry,but I'm not very tech minded!!

EDIT-I downloaded the 2 files on page 1 but neither will open on my laptop,says "windows cannot open this file" etc. The other file extracted no problem and is saved on my Desktop.

EDIT(2)-Netflix has sound but no picture on my version of ICS. Worked fine before I updated. But I think my version of ICS was an old one.

You should delete the zt-update folder on your sdcard before putting another one on it, or just rename the older zt-update folder to something like ICSzt-update.... When the tablet flashes a ROM, it only looks in the zt-update folder on the sdcard, no where else....

Did you download and use 7zip? 7-Zip The only difference is that the ROM downloads from Zenithink are RAR files and mine was a ZIP... 7zip should be able to open and extract both types of files....

I am not sure about Netflix, I don't use it, but if I remember correctly, you need to install the flash player that's in the media partition and then make sure your browser is set to the Android User Agent, then Netflix should work properly, but I'm not sure...

Have you flashed to my copy of Gingerbread yet? What ROM are you currently using?

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
You should delete the zt-update folder on your sdcard before putting another one on it, or just rename the older zt-update folder to something like ICSzt-update.... When the tablet flashes a ROM, it only looks in the zt-update folder on the sdcard, no where else....

Did you download and use 7zip? 7-Zip The only difference is that the ROM downloads from Zenithink are RAR files and mine was a ZIP... 7zip should be able to open and extract both types of files....

I am not sure about Netflix, I don't use it, but if I remember correctly, you need to install the flash player that's in the media partition and then make sure your browser is set to the Android User Agent, then Netflix should work properly, but I'm not sure...

Have you flashed to my copy of Gingerbread yet? What ROM are you currently using?

Changed that folder to ICSzt-update on the tablet. I'm having trouble with my card reader,its not reading SD card when I insert it in laptop. It was working earlier cos I saved your copy of GB on desktop but now I cant tansfer it back to SD card. Don't know what ROM...went to settings,about tablet but no Mod info.
I'll get back to you when I get this card reader working.....hopefully.

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
Ok,finally transferred your file,running 2.3.4,kernel 2.6.34 deskwizard@deskwizard-MINT13#2825,mod version unknown......is that the same as yours??
No major difference between either,other than Netflix sound and picture work on 2.3.4 but not on ICS. Bluetooth is there in GB but wont allow me to tick box,just stays blank.So looks like I cant use wireless keyboard with either version which is a pain!!
So,as a novice is there any reason for me to stick with GB as opposed to ICS?Is one better/faster than the other?
I liked on ICS I could open multiple tabs while surfing and also had the option to swipe away unwanted webpages just like on my S3.But thats not a major game changer really.I'll stick with whatever people think is the best.

EDIT-And if I do want to change back to ICS can you send me the link to the most recent update for zt280 as i think mine is a little old.
Also,to change back to ICS,do I just delete the current zt-update folder(with GB) and rename the ICSzt-update folder to just zt-update folder and reboot?Thanks

Last edited:

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Ok,finally transferred your file,running 2.3.4,kernel 2.6.34 deskwizard@deskwizard-MINT13#2825,mod version unknown......is that the same as yours??
No major difference between either,other than Netflix sound and picture work on 2.3.4 but not on ICS. Bluetooth is there in GB but wont allow me to tick box,just stays blank.So looks like I cant use wireless keyboard with either version which is a pain!!
So,as a novice is there any reason for me to stick with GB as opposed to ICS?Is one better/faster than the other?
I liked on ICS I could open multiple tabs while surfing and also had the option to swipe away unwanted webpages just like on my S3.But thats not a major game changer really.I'll stick with whatever people think is the best.
Ah, I forgot I was using deskwizard's modified kernel for USB GPS to work (pl2303), but yeah, it's what I am using on my C91....

No difference? :( Thought the 900MHz and build.prop edits would make the tablet run a little smoother for you, but I guess not...

Did you have the USB BT dongle inserted into your tablet before you powered it on? I usually do, but I don't use BT that much... Sometimes you need to try to tick the box 2-5 times before it will actually load for the first time (if I remember correctly)... Also, don't have something plugged into the full USB port and the dev port at the same time... If you have your tablet connected to your computer via the dev port and then you plug something in the full USB on the tablet, it's acts like you plugged the device into your computer and not the tablet.... You should be able to use a BT keyboard, my K810 Logitech works fine with my C91....

Again, it really depends on what you are using your tablet for and your personal preferences... I like Gingerbread, a lot of people like ICS (like Pas's modified ROM for the ZT-280 and ZT-282 C91's - [ROM] ZeniBasic ICS v1.2 28/02/2013 - SlateDroid.com )... Some people even are still using Froyo on their C91 H1_2n.... Whatever works best for your needs... I have a ZT-283 C97 tablet, everyone is using JellyBean or Cyanogenmod on it, I prefer my ICS ROM on it...

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
No,had nothing else connected,tried BT a few times,no luck.I tick the box but nothing happens.I'll try your version for a few days and see how it goes.

That pas ROM mentioned a known bug of "No mousepointer in hdmi mode for the c91 models" which I wouldn't want as I connect my tablet to my TV via hdmi and need the cursor(unfortunately as previously mentioned I cant scroll up or down pages.....do you know a fix for that???)

So,if I decide to go to ICS,is it as simple as I mentioned earlier? on post #25 EDIT

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
EDIT-And if I do want to change back to ICS can you send me the link to the most recent update for zt280 as i think mine is a little old.
Also,to change back to ICS,do I just delete the current zt-update folder(with GB) and rename the ICSzt-update folder to just zt-update folder and reboot?Thanks
The 0314 I linked you to earlier is the latest stock ROM from Zenithink....

Some custom ROMs can be found on SlateDroid here - ZT-280 C91 Custom ROM Development - SlateDroid.com and here is the general ZT-280 C91 forum on SlateDroid - ZT-280 C91 - SlateDroid.com It's been a while since that's forum has been used/active, so there may be many dead links in the posts...

Yes, you can delete the gingerbread zt-update folder, or rename it, and then rename the ICS zt-update folder back to just zt-update.... Then with it powered down, turn the tablet back on while holding the camera button to enter flash mode (Power+Camera)...