Nook Color General Discussion Thread

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I think one step toward answering that question--since the device is so young--is to look at the teardown (thanks to rico2001 for finding):

NOOKcolor Teardown | TechRepublic Photo Gallery

$487362-500-334.jpg $487329-500-334.jpg $487331-500-334.jpg

It will probably be a while before there's any news about replacing it, though.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!! :cool:

-Matt

JagMan

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks a lot Matt! It looks very doable. I guess that means I get a Color Nook, which will probably be consficated by my daughter, an avid reader.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks a lot Matt! It looks very doable. I guess that means I get a Color Nook, which will probably be consficated by my daughter, an avid reader.
OMG you're a madman. Did you go through the whole teardown? Of course, they make it look easy.

Don't know if it means anything, but I've had my Droid for a year and the battery is holding up very well. OK, that's a total apples-to-oranges comparison. But if the Nook only needs to be charged once a day for 2 years, I'll be pleased. (In the thread about the NC getting 2.2, I think there's mention of "improving battery life...http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/3675-nook-color-getting-android-2-2-market-next-month.html).

-Matt

JagMan

Dec 15, 2010
I say doable because I'm a pretty good DIY guy. Of course I have also destroyed a few things but hey, I'll try it when needed.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I want to thank Android Tablet admin for changing forum layout. Very clear and straight-forward now. Many thanks. :)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
NC Tip:

[Q] Why does Wifi drops out when NC is not in use?
[A] This is by design, to save battery life. You can install the Spare Parts app from Market to modify the WiFi Sleep Policy.

Source - xda

Personal observation: Seems to turn off wifi after 4-5 minutes into sleep mood. It's inconsistent though, some apps keep the wifi on while in sleep mode. The default browser seems to obey the power saving and turn off the wifi most of the time.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Many new videos on poping up on youtube:

I wonder if that is "softkeys" he's using on his NC.

Older video but I still want to know what weather widget he is using.

Last edited by a moderator:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
In other news, group buy in China for the NC is gaining momentum fast.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Older video but I still want to know what weather widget he is using.
Thoughts:

(1) HEY! I was the one lusting after the weather widget first. :confused: Let me know if you find it.

(2) Wasn't this video the guy's EBay ad?

(3) And he's the "GPS button" guy too?

(4) CREEPY!!! HE WANTS $60 bucks to mod people's NC's??? OK, I'd say $30 is fair, but hey...it is a free market. YOU AND I SHOULD combine forces and market the mod package for $50!!! :rolleyes::cool::eek::mad::p:)

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010

Oh gawd I got suckered...didn't see "Angry Birds" in the title and reflexively yelled "NNNNNNOOOOO!!!!!" :mad: Scared the crap out of my wife and daughter. :(

That is not the way I remember SoftKeys looks, but I really like it. It's looking unlikely that I'll reroot today (yeah, I've been threatening for days), but if I do I'll post a screen shot (it's in the latest root package).

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
$Clipboard01.jpg
I think this is what SoftKeys looks like:

Quick hacked up app to create soft menu/back keys - SoftKeys v2.02 - xda-developers

$Clipboard01.jpg

Would love to get my hands on whatever he's using! What's really mysterious and bugging me (I've watched it 10 times!!) is it looks like--during Angry Birds, yes Angry Birds--even though it's in fullscreen he touches the margin near the "n" button and the softkeys pop up. I WANT IT.

-Matt

Last edited: