Nook tablet or Nook color refurbished at 149$ ??

movies99

Nov 10, 2011
hello everyone !!

I'm new to tablets.. I don't want to buy the expensive ipad 2.. my main use with the tablet will be reading/movies/browsing.. wifi will do.. I need a very good quality screen.. I liked nook tablet.. but there's nook color refurbished at 149 $ which I'll root.. the tablet has 16 gb memory and 1 gb ram at 249$
so is the upgrade worth 100 $ for my requirements ?

awaiting reply..
thank you..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If budget is the main concern save the $100. For what you want to use it for the refurbished Nook Color is a great deal. It will surf the web, paly movies and games just fine. Reading is not a strain on the device at all. Yes the new one will be faster and has more storage but memory cards are cheap and possibly free if you pay attention to Black Friday deals.

You can get a couple of years use out of the current Nook Color and then possibly upgrade to whatever goodness the future holds. Make no mistake the tablet price wars have just started. Remember the competition in PCs then laptops then netbooks? Tablets are next. You can expect many dual core tablets with great performance in the future and by then you may want to do more than reading/movies/browsing and be able to get a more powerful tablet for that same $249.

Last edited:

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
The answer isn't so simple. A lot depends on what you really can afford. I have a NC and love it but for $100 more you get more memory, much faster processor and a microphone. Personally I would pay the $100 for the upgrade. Yes you pay more but you get a machine that will have a longer useful life. If you really can't afford the $250 price or plan on upgrading to another tablet in a year or so go with the NC. If you have the extra money to spend and plan on using the tablet for at least a couple of years go with the NT.

You will never have Google voice on the NC but you might on the NT. Something to think about.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Another option if you have 6 months or so to wait and the money is still an important factor is to get a refurbished unit when they are available. If they follow the same model as the Nook Color you can expect to pick up a refurb for $199 and sometimes on special for $149. Bottom line is that the Nook Tablet is $100 better than the Nook Color so it really is a matter of how much you can afford.

At $149 the Nook Color is really hard to beat and at $250 the Nook Tablet is really hard to beat. It's nice to have options :D

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
hello everyone !!I'm new to tablets.. I don't want to buy the expensive ipad 2.. my main use with the tablet will be reading/movies/browsing.. wifi will do.. I need a very good quality screen.. I liked nook tablet.. but there's nook color refurbished at 149 $ which I'll root.. the tablet has 16 gb memory and 1 gb ram at 249$so is the upgrade worth 100 $ for my requirements ?awaiting reply..thank you..
You're saying your mainly use will be reading/movies/ browsing....well nook color is perfect, why spend more if you can have all you need for less. I would install then CM7 on a SD card so you can stiil use the stock and subscribe to B&N magazines as well. They do have the nook app but it sucks so far, who knows when they are going to fix it. That's how I have it, I have an SD card with a dual boot, when I want to read B&n stuff,I boot on stock for all the rest,netflicx movies and surfing I boot on CM7. You are going to enjoy it, I'm m sure and even more so knowing you got a great deal on a great tablet.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'll add my recommendation for the Nook Color as well. For your use, it's all the tablet you're going to need.

moms3bratz

Nov 27, 2011
I have 3 kids that all want electronics. 2 of them want a nook color for you tube, netflix and hulu. also email. Will the refurbished nook color be able to accomblish? or am i gonna have to do something to it? i am not tech savy. let me knoe asap. so i can get them each one. thanks;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nook Color can handle those duties stock but of course if you do make a couple of minor changes (root or custom ROM) you do get a much more capable tablet. :)

JP

homercole

Dec 2, 2011
Need to know are there any issues with the refurbished nook color tablet???Are they good to use??

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Need to know are there any issues with the refurbished nook color tablet???Are they good to use??

I haven't heard of a single instance where anyone had problems with a Nook because it was refurbished.