NOOKcolor Owners thread

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
A couple of nice screen shots. oogam, go ahead and get your B&N software updated and then follow the rooting thread.

mandroid, what is the widget on the right side of your screen? I think that is the second time I have seen that one today. Looks nice.

Welcome to both of you.

-JP

Gorilla72

Feb 7, 2011
Hello all, new Nook Owners, first time poster. I was wondering if it's possible to crack this baby open and upgrade the internal Micro SD card? From what I have seen it's just a standard micro in a easily removable slot. So am I able to just take it out, copy EVERYTHING on it to a 16gb/32gb Class 10 card, and then just pop it back in? Any thoughts on this? (and excuse me if I need to post this else where, please direct me and I'll head over there to discuss this).

Thanks and glad to be part of the NookVerse!

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Hello all, new Nook Owners, first time poster. I was wondering if it's possible to crack this baby open and upgrade the internal Micro SD card? From what I have seen it's just a standard micro in a easily removable slot. So am I able to just take it out, copy EVERYTHING on it to a 16gb/32gb Class 10 card, and then just pop it back in? Any thoughts on this? (and excuse me if I need to post this else where, please direct me and I'll head over there to discuss this).

Thanks and glad to be part of the NookVerse!

Yes you can copy everything over to another sdcard. I have 16gb in mine. I believe it is a class 4.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

oogam

Feb 5, 2011
Ok just updated to 1.1.0 now need to get a card so I can root this thing. Thanks for all the help.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok just updated to 1.1.0 now need to get a card so I can root this thing. Thanks for all the help.

Make sure u read the rooting instructions carefully. Remember you need the correct autonooter file for 1.1...which is autonooter 3 I believe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hey there Gorilla, welcome to the "NookVerse". I think you may be referring to the original Nook e-reader and not the Nook Color. The Nook Color has a micro SD slot but does not come with a card in the slot. The built in memory for the device is not any form of SD card and is not removable from the device. That being said, you can easily use any micro SD card up to 32GB with the Nook Color without issue.

Gorilla72

Feb 7, 2011
Really? Stelv says he did it, and from the tear downs I saw online, the Nook Color DID have an internal slot, like a cell phone, that you can easily remove the card? Anyone else have thoughts on this? (and thanks for the hello's and quick feedback!).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was trying to clarify if you were in fact talking about internal storage as in "built into the device."

There is a micro SD slot but it is not part of the internal storage. In the tear down picture here you can see that the internal memory is onboard flash memory and not and sd card.

$487692-610-408.jpg

Just to be extra clear because I ran across the same information when I was first looking into the Nook Color aned the distinction between original Nook and Nook Color is not always made clear. This is the inside of the original Nook with the internal slots.

*NOT the NooK Color*

$Nook-Teardown_circuit_annotated.png

*NOT the NooK Color*

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Really? Stelv says he did it, and from the tear downs I saw online, the Nook Color DID have an internal slot, like a cell phone, that you can easily remove the card? Anyone else have thoughts on this? (and thanks for the hello's and quick feedback!).

Sorry i was talking about the removable micro sd card that slides out of the bottom of the nook color. Not any internal one. I do not know about the interal one.

sent from my rooted nook color

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
FWIW- When I was trying to root 1.1, I couldn't get the Nooter 3 to work for me and so went back to the "updated 2.12.25". That one worked for me.

Sue

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
The nooter ver.3 works well Sue, so I don't know what was wrong with your install.

Redhawk

Feb 7, 2011
Hi all, got my NC yesterday and rooted this evening. Thanks for all questions and answers I followed to get it rooted.
Any absolutely must haves I should put on it?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP: Owners list is up to date: 2-8-2011

Added:
-Redhawk
-oogam
-mandroid

Welcome to the Nookcolor family! :)