NTT DoCoMo To Launch World's Lightest Android Tablet in Japan

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
nec-mediastabul.jpeg

Although there is no shortage of cool gadgets here in the U.S., it certainly seems like sometimes Japan gets some pretty intriguing exclusives. NTT DoCoMo just announced that they will begin selling the world's lightest Android tablet. Their svelt little 7-inch tablet is called the Medias Tab UL N08-D and is built by NEC. The tablet weighs a minuscule 249 grams. To put that in perspective, the Kindle Fire HD weighs 400 g and the Nexus 7 weighs 345 g. Needless to say, the tablet is also pretty thin, coming in at a slender 7.9mm thickness. The tablet is able to achieve this design because it uses a special carbon fiber material that is normally used in aircraft construction. Interestingly, despite the light construction, the tablet isn't "light" on specs, and actually packs some decent firepower. Here's a breakdown,
  • 1.5 GHz dual-core processor
  • 7-inch 1280 x 800 LCD display
  • 8 megapixel Exmore R back-lit camera plus secondary 2 megapixel shooter on the front
  • 3100 mAh battery
  • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 75 Mbps downlink
The super-light tab also includes some unique software features apparently. It has a web browser that lets you actively view two tabs at the same time, and an "HD haptics" vibration feedback mechanism that's applied to just about every on-screen element.

What do you guys think? Would you like to see this imported to the States?

Source: AndroidCentral

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Sounds like a great device, but I suspect I would choke at the price.

That's an interesting question. A quick Google search and I found this article :

As Tablet News notes, NEC has not yet announced the price or release date for the tablet. Nevertheless, NTT DoCoMo, a Japanese carrier, is expected to put the product on sale from 20 September. It is not yet clear if the device will get a global launch, but we may just hope it comes soon.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
"thinnest, lightest" means nothing unless it's got what it takes under the hood.

Without good, competitive specs this will be the "thinnest lightest" tablet stuffed in a drawer or a bin.