OK, who stole my microphone!

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
Mine must be the new model because the Mic is in the middle. However sound quality from it is horrible even if you get up close. What surprises me is that there is not a Michael on the other side under the camera so when your recording video you capture the sound from the subject and not yourself

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I suppose the cancellation mic could explain my issue, which is a feedback-like, repeating clicking when using Skype. The clicking is about 2 clicks per second, doesn't happen when recording sound or video, only when using Skype. Anyone else notice this problem, or do I possibly have a defective unit?

Yeah, it is feedback from the speakers on the back of the A500. If you plug in earplugs and try skype using the mic on the A500 and the earplugs. No feed back at all. You can use headphones if you like. The result will be the same --- no clicking at all and the person on the other side can see and hear you perfectly. I tried it a few times.
:eek:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The newer batch of the A500 (same SKU, same Part Number, same Model Number...) has a major design change/correction that resolves the microphone issue. I saw one a few days ago. On an older batch, the microphone is located on the left AND under the glass, MUFFLED, that is. On the newer batch, the microphone is located in the center, where the glass meets the aluminum AND there is a visible rectangular (small, but visible) opening for the microphone

This is nonsense. Mine is a first day pre-order, before they were available in stores in the US.
The mic is centered at the top of the glass like what you claim is the new model.

You have your fact mixed up.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
This is nonsense. Mine is a first day pre-order, before they were available in stores in the US.
The mic is centered at the top of the glass like what you claim is the new model.

You have your fact mixed up.
I agree - pure nonsense - Mine is in the centre just like yours - and like the "supposed" new improved model.

mayonez

Mar 7, 2012
Yeah, it is feedback from the speakers on the back of the A500. If you plug in earplugs and try skype using the mic on the A500 and the earplugs. No feed back at all. You can use headphones if you like. The result will be the same --- no clicking at all and the person on the other side can see and hear you perfectly. I tried it a few times.
:eek:

Hiya,

I just rang acer support in the UK and they have given me a ref # and arranging to pick up the unit as it is completely unusable with skype or any other voip software.

I did try your idea of plugging in earplugs but only slight improvement in voice quality so I'm sending it back.

Acer had me restore to factory settings to see if the issue goes away but its still the same. Interestingly, after a factory reset, the Android version remains 3.2.1 due to several updates I downloaded over the last few months. Build number is Acer_A500_7.014.14_COM_GEN1. Almost sure it came with Android 2. something...:confused:

On another note, I bought mine in July 2011 and it has the small rectangular hole in the middle, along the top where the glass meets the aluminium PLUS the round small hole under the glass to the left of the unit (holding it in landscape mode).

I got it thru Best Buy (now out of business in the UK) so very interested in how this plays out.

I'll keep y'all updated :rolleyes:

mayonez

Mar 7, 2012
Update: microphone now works. I'm on skype as I type right now and other party can hear me perfectly! I have to take the tab out of the wallet though cos the top part blocks the mic input. By the way, the tab has the two holes: the round one a little left of centre (landscape mode) and the rectangular onein the middle top centre (very tiny in landscape mode).

Build # is ACER_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN1 and kernel version is 2.6.36.3+ and android version is 3.2 so now I'm afraid to upgrade:confused:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Update: microphone now works. I'm on skype as I type right now and other party can hear me perfectly! I have to take the tab out of the wallet though cos the top part blocks the mic input. By the way, the tab has the two holes: the round one a little left of centre (landscape mode) and the rectangular onein the middle top centre (very tiny in landscape mode).

Build # is ACER_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN1 and kernel version is 2.6.36.3+ and android version is 3.2 so now I'm afraid to upgrade:confused:
I think you're making reference to the 2MP front facing camera. It is not a mic.