Open zip files on Android tablet

AndrewRoed

May 1, 2012
I downloaded a series of books to my tablet in a zip file. I see here that ES File Explorer is really popular although it's not easy to find...listed way down the list on the Play store. So it says this is compatible with all your devices (which seems to be rare these days). I clicked Install and it brings up the list of devices to install to. So I pick this one. It says it will be downloaded shortly. Now the Install button turned to Installed - but it's nowhere to be found on the tablet. I did this with Winzip too. What's the deal?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You may want to restart your tablet then look in the app drawer, (tap the ICON upper right part of the screen) Both should be there. A long press on the icon in the app drawer will allow you to drag it to the screen of your choice.

AndrewRoed

May 1, 2012
This is gettin' weird. When I first downloaded the zip epub file, I clicked on it and it said it couldn't open it. When I thought I installed ES File Explorer - even though I can't find a trace of it on the tablet - when I click on the epub zip file now a Extract window comes up. There's an option to Extract here or Extract to... When I click on either one, nothing seems to happen.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
This is gettin' weird. When I first downloaded the zip epub file, I clicked on it and it said it couldn't open it. When I thought I installed ES File Explorer - even though I can't find a trace of it on the tablet - when I click on the epub zip file now a Extract window comes up. There's an option to Extract here or Extract to... When I click on either one, nothing seems to happen.

1) Did you find the app shortcuts?
2) Did you restart your tablet?
3) What tablet and version of Android are you using?

AndrewRoed

May 1, 2012
I've done this with a few apps - when I go to the Play store for those apps now, they all say it's "Installed". Nowhere can I find them. I have a Michley Electronics MiTraveler 10C2 tablet running android 4.0.3. I've restarted a few times.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I've done this with a few apps - when I go to the Play store for those apps now, they all say it's "Installed". Nowhere can I find them. I have a Michley Electronics MiTraveler 10C2 tablet running android 4.0.3. I've restarted a few times.

From what you have posted, they must be there. On ICS, which is the version of Android that you have, you are looking for the tiny squares in the upper right corner of the screen to find the app drawer. Be certain you look at the tabs on that screen so you aren't looking at widgets instead of all the apps. If all else fails, go to settings - apps - all and find the missing apps. Tap on each one and tell it to clear cache and force close then restart again by holding down the power button until it restarts.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Ive installed this way a few times... you must MAKE SURE that the device you are going to download to is IN FACT the one you have sitting there waiting for it. (and i dont know about YOU, but I have installed market so many times on so many devices now that only the newest (meaining least 'rebuilt') one is obvious.

Of course the device must be 'online'... wifi or whatever. IT WILL SHOW UP in the system tray JUST AS IT DOES when doing it from there.
IF IT doesnt then it went somewhere else.

2nd star to the right, and straight on till morning! :p

AndrewRoed

May 1, 2012
So I can go into File Manager, find the epub zip file in the Download folder, touch Extract here - and nothing happens. I touch Extract to and it say Holding/mnt/sdcard/Download/...-epub-files.zip to extract. Maybe I'm gettin somewhere, maybe not. Then I go to the eBooks folder, hold it and a menu comes up one option of which is Extract here. When I touch that it says "You do not have permission to unzipall epub-...-files.zip. Any clues?

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
I am unaware of a zip extraction in ES File Explorer... so Im not sure where you're going...
but
I DO use one called AndroUnzip.apk

That handles MY unzipping needs... when I have them. :rolleyes:
It is also possible that the zip file is corrupt/defective, but that should only be determined by attempting a different unzip app or redownloading the file.

Hope that helps! :D