Phone apps on tablet

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Discussions' started by Euclid's Brother, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Euclid's Brother

Euclid's Brother Junior Member

I'm getting ready to buy my first tablet and I'd really prefer the Android over the iPad. However, due to the lack of apps specifically for the tablet, i'm still kind of on the fence. Last I saw there were only 58 apps for the tablet.

I think a new forum category here for folks to review "phone" apps on running on tablets would be a good thing. ie.. Does it work? How does it look? Screenshots? etc.

That way folks thinking about buying a tablet can get a good idea about what non-tablet apps they'll be able to use while waiting for tablet versions to come out. I know it would definately help make up my mind.

Thanks,
    EB
  2. Fuganater

Fuganater Moderator Staff Member

Lack of apps? Tabs can access almost as many apps as phones can. Last I checked there are about 300,000 + apps for android.
  3. dwcunpluged

dwcunpluged Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    I have a Flytouch II Generation II with 512mb variation.
    Other than a very rare API restriction (I have only had that issue once since most apps are built on lower API levels so they are forward compatable) I haven't really found an app I can't download and install. Where are you looking for apps?

Sent from my Huawei Ascend M860 using Android Tablet Forum App
  4. Euclid's Brother

Fuganater,

I know there are tons of android apps, but only "58" that are designed for the tablet form factor (according to market.android.com). I'm sure nearly all the apps designed for the phone form factor will install and run, but what's the usubility like for them? Do they show up as a smaller window in the tablet? do they streach to fit the tablet screen? if so, are they contorted out of perspective?

I was just saying, it would be nice to have a place to read about what "phone" apps people are using on the "tablet" and how well they work?

dwcunpluged,

I've only browsed market.android.com and the amazone app store. But amazon doesn't show which apps are specificaly designed for the tablet. I don't have any android device yet, the tablet will be my first. I'm kind of waiting to see how good the Toshiba tablet is going to be when it's released.

Thanks
  5. jkane

jkane Junior Member

They fill the screen. Most work and look fine. You can even save the apk file and copy it to a tablet and installed.

The only app I tried that looks bad is the star trek communicator app. The flashing lights are out of sync. Otherwise, no problems.
  6. Fuganater

Fuganater Moderator Staff Member

Yes some apps do only show up on a portion of the screen. But most fill the screen with no noticeable side effects. (ie. stretched)
  7. Euclid's Brother

Thanks.. this actually makes me feel better about going for it.. Now just waiting to see when the Toshiba will come out. I'd rather have a full sized sd slot and the xoom only has the mirco.
  8. dwcunpluged

dwcunpluged Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    I have a Flytouch II Generation II with 512mb variation.
    My apologies, I think I misunderstood the question. :)