pictures disappeared from external sd....?

minni mouse

Jun 7, 2011
I had photo files on the external sd card that have mysteriously gone missing over night. I think I remember reading early on from others with similar problems.....? can't find these threads now tho.
is there somewhere they go? does the tablet have a 'waste' or 'recycle' file they might have gone to?
I have removed the card and checked it in the computer and they are definately gone.
thanks

fatmanwalking

Mar 26, 2011
I presume you are talking about a microsd card. Were you able to do a disk check on the card to see if it has become corrupted? I'm a Linux guy and so I would mount it on my PC running Linux and run fsck on the card. Windows uses checkdsk to do a similar job.

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

If the card used in your tablet was not identified to be at least a class 4 card, then this might be the cause of your problem. From what I have learned so far, the 2GB cards tend to not have a class rating on either the card or packaging when you buy them and become easily corrupted in many of the faster tablets and smartphones these days.. 4GB cards and up will have a rating often printed on the card itself and class 4 cards seem to be a minimum speed required.

minni mouse

Jun 7, 2011
Thanks, the class rating might be the problem. Its a 4GB mircosd card but has no rating printed on it which probably means it's not class 4 or better. It was a cheapee.
I had done a disk check but no luck there.

scarson001

Jun 15, 2011
this is happeneing to me as well. i'll take pics or videos, save to external card. if i power down and then back on, the media files will have been wiped from the card. i tried reformatting on my pc, no luck. i put a call into acer today about this issue, they said they hadnt heard about this issue yet. i'm a bit annoyed bc i have a 16 gb card that i cant use, bc i dont trust the system to not delete anything i save to it.

khaiqha

May 16, 2011
I have the same issues using my camera app. Any images/vids I move onto the card or download to the card are fine, but when I save directly to the card from my camera app they dissapear.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
First, CLASS has nothing to do with images disappearing. Class has only to do with speed of storage and speed of playback.
It really doesn't matter except for video cam shots or Movies where rapid sustained reading and writing is needed. Camera shots don't stress the storage at all.

Some have reported content of their MicroSD card goes missing if they take it out of the tablet and and slap it into a Computer.

I've seen images disappear off of the card if I shut down the tablet.

Not if I just sleep the tablet. I have to actually power down to get this bug to happen.
(There is never a reason to power it all the way down, I only did this for testing.)

Not stuff I put there with a file manager (Es File Explorer), but only things put there from the camera directly are deleted.

But Only if I shut down the tablet. (Or it decides to reboot itself).
After a reboot, the Gallery app can't open the picture, (but it paints an empty square, I think it has a thumbnail cached somewhere.).
After a reboot ES File Explorer does not see the pictures stored directly from the camera.

But If I take pictures and store them on internal memory, and move them to the MicroSD with File Explorer they persist over a reboot.

So, clearly a bug.
You should file a bug report with Acer. (I am going to as well).

Don't let them tell you to restore the device to factory either. (In fact I'm going to tell them this is not an option in my bug report).

Last edited:

khaiqha

May 16, 2011
Yeah, I just copy my file to the external card now and the copy is fine. Hopefully 3.1 will fix this along with the freeze from fully charged bug.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Followup:

I talked To level 2 Tech support, and they confirm they already seen this error, and can demonstrate it on their own units.
They say the work around for now is to store on the device and move to MicroSD.

They hope (but don't know) it will be fixed in 3.1. Level two guys have not gotten their hands on 3.1 yet either.

(Acer had to use some hacks to get MicroSD and USB support into 3.0.1, as a lot of other tablets lack this capability.
Not everything works apparently. )