Play Store Update Brings Expandable Notifications And More; Download Link Inside!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Rajesh Pandey on October 12th, 2012

Beginning from today, Google has started rolling out a new version of the Play Store that brings with it quite a lot of new changes. First of all, the updated Play Store (v3.9.16) brings with it expanded notifications for Jelly Bean users. Now, the Play Store will notify users of the name of the apps for which updates are available, instead of just saying “x Updates Available”. The notification bar logo has also been changed to the Play Store logo, which looks neat.

play_store_new.jpeg

However, the most important change in the update is that the Play Store *finally* keeps your position in a list, and does not scroll back to the top, after you check an app description and come back to the list. After the low resolution Google Contacts syncing issue, the Play Store not retaining a user’s position in a list was among the most frustrating bugs plaguing Android users.

Finally, users can now remove apps from the ‘My Apps’ section in the Play Store. You can select multiple apps by long-pressing on them, and removing them by pressing the Trash icon at the top.

The Play Store in your Android phone will automatically be updated over the next few weeks, but if you cannot wait, head over to Android Police to manually download and install the APK.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for the article, Spider, sounds like some nice improvements on this version. Cheers! :)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks yann, this one's my personal favorite.

Finally, users can now remove apps from the ‘My Apps’ section in the Play Store. You can select multiple apps by long-pressing on them, and removing them by pressing the Trash icon at the top.

I'm getting really tired of looking at all the apps I tried and deleted because they were junk. Free or not, junk is junk.:rolleyes:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Aaah - I see the point, someone trying out a lot of apps, then un-installing, would end up with a HUGE list in My Apps.

Cool that you can clean that out now. :)

HerronScott

May 27, 2012
Just noticed that mine is still on version 3.5.15. I thought it auto-updated or is that the latest build for Android 2.3?

Scott

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Just noticed that mine is still on version 3.5.15. I thought it auto-updated or is that the latest build for Android 2.3?

Scott

This new version should run on your device, I installed it on mine, running Gingerbread (CM7), and it works well. Force Closed a couple times, but it seems to have added another new apps, Google Play Services, which I didn't have before. No more FCs now.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Very nice auto-update, but I wish something would tell me when it got auto-updated on my Nexus 7. It must have happened over the past couple of days:
$uploadfromtaptalk1350854861293.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

HerronScott

May 27, 2012
Nevermind. Just realized I have a modified version provided by LCD Density Modder Pro in order to provide application compatibility with my Supernova.

I just emailed that developer to see if he's going to provided an updated modified version.

Scott

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Nevermind. Just realized I have a modified version provided by LCD Density Modder Pro in order to provide application compatibility with my Supernova.

I remember that, editing Build.prop to extend the apps I could see, Le Pan TC970 being a bit of an obscure device. Nowadays I have it on the default CM7 build.prop, and think I am not missing many apps any more.

It's nice to do it manually, if you have Root, a good learning path.