Post-purchase regrets

Griezz

Jun 8, 2011
I have to be honest and say that I've started having a lot of regrets about choosing the gTablet above the other choices I had. Yes, it was the cheapest 10" tablet, and yes, it has the basic features that I was looking for (e-book reader, audio-video player, web browser). Unfortunately, there are a bunch of problems with the unit that are beomcing harder and harder to ignore.

- First, Android Market. The biggest source of Android apps there is, but gTablet users are excluded. Most of the apps I see online are either for iPad or Android, but if they're for Android, it seem like over 90% of them direct you to get it at Google's Android Market.. and nowhere else. Why the heck are Viewsonic gTablet users excluded? It's as if a Windows site allowed access to all Windows users EXCEPT those using Hewlett Packard brand computers. It doesn't make sense!

- The native web broser. I've had an ongoing bug with the native web browser in that, after entering data with the on-screen keyboard, the keyboard will retract but leaving all the screen area it covered as a grey blank. If viewed in landscape mode, that's two thirds of the screen area! Yes, the problem (for whatever reason) goes away if I press the "desk top" button and then press the web icon again.... but seriously, why does it screw up in the first place? (Yes, I know that there are a few other web browser I could try, but all of them would require getting used to new systems, probably. Besides, if I don't know what caused the problem in the first place, then how would I know that switching browsers would do anything?)

- Third, the placement of the main buttons. The "Search", "Desktop", "Options" and "Go Back" buttons are place "conveniently" along one side; unfortunately, this is proving to be a little TOO convenient. No matter how I hold the gTablet in landscape mode, my fingers tend to hold the unit along the sides as that is the most stable way to hold it. Unfortunately, doing so means I stand an excellent chance in pressing one of hte buttons, messing up whatever task I happened to be in the middle of doing. This is NOT good unit layout, people!

If ever I get a new tablet in the future, I will almost certainly be avoiding Viewsonic. They may make excellent monitors, but their tablet leave a lot to be desired.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Sounds like you were still running the stock firmware that came on the Gtab and i'll tend to agree with you the Gtab out of the box the user experience isn't a very good one.... my suggestion would be to read up on the stickes listed here on how to load a custom firmware. I'm running CyanogenMod on my Gtab and more than happy with the performace and user experience.. market access, the default browser pulls pages as you'd see them on a desktop and tons more enhancments that make the tablet a more complete and enjoyable experience.

Before you write off the Gtab for good I'd seriously suggest looking in to loading on of the custom ROM's that are available even the most basic ones are infinatly better than the stock Tap'n'Tap... or as I've seen it affectionatly refered to.. "Crap'n'crap"

Griezz

Jun 8, 2011
Yes, I am still running the stock firmware. Yes, I have seenthe stickies about using Cyanomod or some other mod. However, that would only affect one of my complaints. It wouldn't do a thing regarding these damn side buttons, nor would it change the extremely frustrating denial of service that Google gives Viewsonic tablets.

Griezz

Jun 8, 2011
A slight correction to my last post... by "market access", do you mean CyanogenMod WOULD allow me to access Google's Android Marketplace?

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
A slight correction to my last post... by "market access", do you mean CyanogenMod WOULD allow me to access Google's Android Marketplace?

Yes. Believe it or not very and I mean very few tablets are good out the box.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

beastman

May 8, 2011
Yes. I am running cm 7.1 rc1 on my viewsonic gtablet. No problems...running netflix and hulu plus, as well as crackle. I installed a pinnball game written for the tegra2 processor. There are other games too. I've watched movies off a USB thumb drive, and have even ran a webserver on it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
Griezz:

I bought the gTab with the idea I'd run it for a few weeks with the stock ROM and see how it was before moving to a custom ROM. I barely made it 24 hours before going to the first one. There are a lot of ROMS to choose from and I recommend trying a few out before settling on one. CM7 is a great ROM to start with, but also anything with the name Roebeet on it is also good. You may even get courageous and try one of the Honeycomb ROMS, which are real nice and are pretty stable.

One of the great things I've found about the gTab is that it is nearly impossible to hard brick - or mess up the software so much as to make it useless.

Do some research on the different ROMs, try a few out, and ask questions if you need to. You'll find you will be a lot more enjoyment out of your gTab.

Griezz

Jun 8, 2011
I have been trying, but I feel like I've been running around in circles; therefore, I need to ask three questions...1) Is it possible to download an image of the tablet's factory ROM in case of future problems? If so, where?2) Is there some site where I can compare the more popular mods? A link would be appreciated.3) I looked up info on rooting and was told to use "Platinum Backup" first. However, when I installed PB, I got a warning that I needed to root the device first. WTF? Which am I supposed to do first?

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Easy there !

Have you seen this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...start-here-viewsonic-gtablet-tips-tweaks.html

I have been trying, but I feel like I've been running around in circles;
What have you tried ?

1) Is it possible to download an image of the tablet's factory ROM in case of future problems?
Yes. It is not important at the moment.

2) Is there some site where I can compare the more popular mods?
Have you browsed this section for difference custom rom's Viewsonic gTablet Technical ?
The importance is: what is your stock browser version ? Settings --> About Phone ? From that information, select a rom that match the bootloader. Any custom rom will do. Once you know the true potential of the gtablet, and gain more knowledge (rather than whining or complaining), then try other ones to find what fits you the best.

3) I looked up info on rooting and was told to use "Platinum Backup" first.
Bad information ! Where did you get that ? By installing a custom rom, any custom rom, the tablet is rooted with superuser.

Yes, I am still running the stock firmware. Yes, I have seenthe stickies about using Cyanomod or some other mod. However, that would only affect one of my complaints. It wouldn't do a thing regarding these damn side buttons
These buttons can be disabled in custom rom.

By Swould333: Before you write off the Gtab for good I'd seriously suggest looking in to loading on of the custom ROM's that are available even the most basic ones are infinatly better than the stock Tap'n'Tap... or as I've seen it affectionatly refered to.. "Crap'n'crap"

By rgc6789: Do some research on the different ROMs, try a few out, and ask questions if you need to. You'll find you will be a lot more enjoyment out of your gTab.

Dave,

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I have been trying, but I feel like I've been running around in circles; therefore, I need to ask three questions...1) Is it possible to download an image of the tablet's factory ROM in case of future problems? If so, where?2) Is there some site where I can compare the more popular mods? A link would be appreciated.3) I looked up info on rooting and was told to use "Platinum Backup" first. However, when I installed PB, I got a warning that I needed to root the device first. WTF? Which am I supposed to do first?
Hi Griezz, and welcome to the forum!

My apologies for not joining the conversation sooner...I was away for a bit on a family vacation, and now catching up at the forum. :) I see that you're already in great hands.

To add to Dave's post, I think the first question you need to consider is "Are you OK with installing a custom ROM?" For me, it was a process that I needed to take slowly, and build confidence over time. As Dave noted, once you're comfortable with doing it, (a) you can ALWAYS and EASILY go back to the stock ROM (I'll provide a link below), and (b) it becomes easy and tempting to "try out" new ROMs for a few days, and see which one fits you best.

(Note that I'm referring you to slatedroid, another Android site): [RECOVERY] nvflash FULL restore, using either 1.1 or 1.2 based images - [G-TABLET] - SlateDroid.com

The first post in the thread describes the process of nvflash'ing, a critical skill that allows you to "start over" with your gTab as often as needed. Take a look and see if it agrees with your computing skill/experience. It also includes links to the stock ROMs for the 3588 and 4349 versions that come on the gTab--as Dave mentioned, you'll need to first check your device to see which version it shipped with, and then proceed from there.

If you're OK with getting nvflash set up, then let us know and we'll help you with selecting your first custom ROM and getting it installed. Trust me, it's fun and once you've mastered the basics, you'll be AMAZED at how nicely your gTab performs.

-Matt

Ronin317

Mar 23, 2011
Griezz:

I bought the gTab with the idea I'd run it for a few weeks with the stock ROM and see how it was before moving to a custom ROM. I barely made it 24 hours before going to the first one. There are a lot of ROMS to choose from and I recommend trying a few out before settling on one. CM7 is a great ROM to start with, but also anything with the name Roebeet on it is also good. You may even get courageous and try one of the Honeycomb ROMS, which are real nice and are pretty stable.

One of the great things I've found about the gTab is that it is nearly impossible to hard brick - or mess up the software so much as to make it useless.

Do some research on the different ROMs, try a few out, and ask questions if you need to. You'll find you will be a lot more enjoyment out of your gTab.

I made it exactly 15 minutes with the TapNTap Stock ROM, had the thing rooted and running GHarmony 20 minutes after that using the guides on this site. Flipped over to VeganTab after a week or so, and never looked back. I'm waiting on Honeycomb until there's one that is as stable as VeganTab is...or until I see a screaming deal on the Asus. The gTab is a damned fine tablet, just not out of the box.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Funny really, much like the Nook it seems to be an Android hackers dream.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Funny really, much like the Nook it seems to be an Android hackers dream.Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum
I've got both, and despite my best efforts to brick them, have failed so far.-Matt

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
I made it exactly 15 minutes with the TapNTap Stock ROM, had the thing rooted and running GHarmony 20 minutes after that using the guides on this site. Flipped over to VeganTab after a week or so, and never looked back. I'm waiting on Honeycomb until there's one that is as stable as VeganTab is...or until I see a screaming deal on the Asus. The gTab is a damned fine tablet, just not out of the box.

I really wanted to make it a week to give it a shot but 24 hours was all i could do. I started with Cm7, but have since had maybe 10 including 3 of the honeycomb. Without other options it would have gotten returned.