Pre-purchase questions

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
If you're going to buy a tablet of some kind anyway, why not take this one for a spin for two weeks? Everyone has different expectations and it's hard to advise someone else who might have different values. Some of the things you've been reading. - good and bad. - may not affect you at all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
If you're going to buy a tablet of some kind anyway, why not take this one for a spin for two weeks? Everyone has different expectations and it's hard to advise someone else who might have different values. Some of the things you've been reading. - good and bad. - may not affect you at all.

Hi Raven312,

I just replied to you in another thread!!

Yes, it looks more and more like I'll be getting one this week! I'm not too busy this weekend so I can give it a pretty good work out.

Can you recommend an app to specifically check out the GPS?

Gerry

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Gerry, I've used GPS Test and GPS Essentials, from the market. Both are free apps.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Gerry, I've used GPS Test and GPS Essentials, from the market. Both are free apps.

Hi Raven312,

Well, its 99 44/100% sure that I'm going to get on on Thurs when I have a whole bunch of errands to run. I'll be near a BB and its showing that the A500 is in stock.

Using those GPS apps above, is your GPS working to your satisfaction? It seems some people are having problems while for others it works just fine.

Thanks,
Gerry

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I don't really use the GPS from the tablet much. I have used it to look for restaurants and gas in the area and it worked perfectly. Haven't tried to get turn by turn directions, though. I suspect that you're going to enjoy the Acer.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
I don't really use the GPS from the tablet much. I have used it to look for restaurants and gas in the area and it worked perfectly. Haven't tried to get turn by turn directions, though. I suspect that you're going to enjoy the Acer.

Hi Raven312,

Frankly I don't think I'll ever use the GPS, but if it has that feature I want to make sure it works properly.

My only hesitation in getting the Acer is that I was originally going to get the Toshiba, which was supposed to be out by now. Most rumors say it won't be out in Japan until June and may not get here until late June. I'm going to France in mid July and really don't want to wait until then to get a tablet and have to check it out. The only advantage the Toshiba has is a replaceable battery and an SD slot instead of the Micro SD that the Acer has. Most likely when the Acer's battery totally dies there will be something better out and I'll probably will want that! So the Toshiba advantage is not that great. But there's always the worry that the Toshiba, or some other one, may be REALLY BETTER than the Acer.

One last question, if I may. Do you have a case for the Acer? I was going to get the one that's made for it from Staples but the user reviews have been very poor, especially for $40! I also saw some detailed pictures of it and I was not impressed. I think I will get the HP case that someone suggested as it is in stock at BB.

Wish me luck with my future Acer and THANKS VERY MUCH for all your help!
Gerry

jeVFR

May 1, 2011
I was also going to wait for the toshiba or possibly get the asus but my impatience got the better of me and I'm glad I went ahead and bought the acer. I absolutely love my acer! I still haven't seen the concrete price or release date for the toshiba, but I can't imagine it being much better than the acer. Go for it and enjoy!

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I do have the Acer case. I'm kind of mixed but honestly, the more I use it the more I like it. It's thin, offers protection from scratches but if you drop it... My real concern about the case is that I read a lot so I fold the flap back. I'm wondering how long this will last. I think it should cost no more than $25 for what it is, but I didn't want to go another day without protection. I love that it gives you some definite grip. Again, mixed but I think it's better than the alternatives due to the fit.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi Guys!

I was also going to wait for the toshiba or possibly get the asus but my impatience got the better of me and I'm glad I went ahead and bought the acer. I absolutely love my acer! I still haven't seen the concrete price or release date for the toshiba, but I can't imagine it being much better than the acer. Go for it and enjoy!

Yep! I think I'm going to do it!!

I do have the Acer case. I'm kind of mixed but honestly, the more I use it the more I like it. It's thin, offers protection from scratches but if you drop it... My real concern about the case is that I read a lot so I fold the flap back. I'm wondering how long this will last. I think it should cost no more than $25 for what it is, but I didn't want to go another day without protection. I love that it gives you some definite grip. Again, mixed but I think it's better than the alternatives due to the fit.

I keep changing my mind but now I'm leaning toward the Acer case, specifically since it can be folded into a leaning position. I saw a bunch of photos of it on another forum and it looks like when you fold the back it can be used at a high angle and a low angle. But at the low angle it looks like its upside down. When you do this does the screen orient itself properly even though its upside down. (I am totally new to the Android, or any thing similar, type of environment.) I think I will just get the A500 and make sure I like it and all the stuff works. Then once I decide to keep it then I'll get a case for it.

One more question please!! Do either of you yave any problem with the battery life. There's a big thread on the fact that there is a background process running to monitor something to do with the cell radio, even though the 500 does not have the cell hardware. But running the process seems to use up some battery life. Some guy just posted a fix but you have to "root" the device and there is no way I would even attempt that. Also Acer upper level support is now aware of this and they "say" a fix will be coming in the "future." But have you done any measurements on how long you get from a charge.

Anyway, by the end of the day Thurs I hope to be a A500 owner!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
Gerry

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I wouldn't worry too much about battery life... cell standby is annoying, but I'm still getting over 10 hours of active use. Maybe 8 if gaming. Haven't tested movies yet... just plug in when not using it, and battery is enough for me.

wmunn

Apr 25, 2011
battery life here has not been an issue. I haven't measured the time strictly, but I get a LOT of use over the course of a day without charging until I put it down for the night.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I use mine all day and typically just charge it overnight if it's low enough for me to worry that I won't have enough juice to make it through the day. In short, the battery life doesn't faze me at all.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi guys,

Well I went and did it and I'm typing this post from it right now! I tried the GPS Essentials but was having some trouble with it but then I tried GPS Test and that worked real nice. It saw 8 satellites and locked in quite nicely. Also, the compass seemed to work better in that app. I know my back yard is almost directly north and in this app it seemed to be pointing correctly.

One question - how do you stop an app. I installed Skype but now I want to stop it but is still shows up in the tasks.

Anyway, signing off for now as its getting time for supper!

Gerry

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I'm proud of you, Gerry. You really did your research before making a snap decision. You'll probably like it that much more. Android is a strange beast in that you don't stop the apps (unless it's media playing...) They stay in the background and if your system needs that resource it will close it. So when you're done with an app, just move on to the next and the system will take care of itself. There are task killers out there but I would only use them as a last resort, IMO (say, it's really bogged down and it doesn't seem to be multi-tasking well.) Enjoy your new toy and give us some more of your impressions as you play with it more.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I second that. Don't worry about tasks, it'll drive you nuts and in the end its less efficient to kill them.

However, I do keep watchdog around and monitor new apps I get.... if I gotta kill it, I usually uninstall... meaning, if CPU remains above 0.0% after quitting for 5 minutes.