PROJECT: Reviving a Hard Bricked Kyros

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
The NAND flashing is missing (it happens before the part you described above). If it doesn't successfully flash this part then the tablet can't start up by itself.

So, is there something i can do to flash the nand successfully?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
So, is there something i can do to flash the nand successfully?

I don't know because I can't tell what your problem is... I know that just after the unit is turned on, in the beginning of the process, you should see this (before those message you listed previously):

"Update bootloader..."
"Done."
"Update kernel..."
"Done."
"Update recovery..."
"Done."
"Update logo..."
"Done."
"Update file system..."

then your tablet should restart and you will see the rest of the messages you listed.

dutorito

Sep 19, 2011
My guess: some hard bricks occur due to a hardware failure, so there is no way to successfully re-flash the ROM without fixing it first (defective NAND, defective CPU, power supply, etc). Why do I say this? Because I've seen reports of people with hard bricked tablets that got theirs bricked simply by trying to flash OFW. The MID1024 I saw hard bricked already had many "unusual" problems like restarting itself or losing configuration files all by itself...

The only way to know if it's really defective or not is to get a console connection to the tablet board, so we are able to know what's going on.

theres 2 types of motherboards for 1024 tablets... the 1024n and the 1025...

if u flash the ofw from coby site at the 1025 motherboard, it will crash for sure...

Incaico

Jul 6, 2011
HOW TO UN-BRICK A "HARD"-BRICKED Coby MID8024.
1)VERY----VERY small screwdriver or metal probe.
2)The original Coby ROM. Once you get the thing working you can always throw another ROM on it.
3)MicroSD card, just big enough to dump the ROM.
4)A opened Coby .
The Fun Part.
1)I used a 8G microSD card that was partitioned with the file "u-boot-SD.bin.mid703v3.mm". I won't bore you with the details because if you are reading this article you have exhausted all other options.
Just put the original Coby ROM into the FAT32 partition. Put the microSD card into the Coby external slot. SIMPLE!! HARD PART COMING UP!!
2)Ok, if you don't know where your NAND is stop reading now and go find out. With the Coby open and the microSD card in the regular external slot you have to take that VERY small screwdriver and stick it between pins 7 & 8 of the NAND chip. You just have to short pins 7 & 8,how you do it is up to you. Simple. :)
3)With pins 7 & 8 shorted you now just do a regular plain-Jane recovery mode procedure. Simple.
I just shorted pins 7 & 8 on the NAND chip and did power button and home button at the same time.
The Coby screen turned bright white(all white) and I just let go of the power button and something "wonderful" happened. The Coby stayed on!! Yes, after 3 weeks of turning off whenever the power button was released it "stayed on". Yes, "something wonderful" happened.
I held the screwdriver against pins 7 & 8 until the Coby turned off by it self, which was about 4 minutes....give or take.
I flipped over the Coby, remember its still in 2 pieces, and pressed the power button, and .....and....
Saw "COBY". YEPPIE!

WARNING!!! I tried over 20 different recovery methods from over 4 different forums before I tried this. The Coby never gave me any sign through screen, USB, or HDMI. Just soft menu buttons lighting up with the power button press. It was DEAD! I didn't have any other options. Nothing else worked. I had nothing to lose. If, you have any questions just ask before attempting this method.
Arlic (aka GENIUS),

After what seems like 2 or 3 months (I actually bought another one), I got my MID7024 up and running again!!!!!!!!!!

People, just follow EXACTLY how Arlic is telling you to do it. Hold down the MENU (round button) and POWER until you see the boot up screen. Mine flashed first after about a minute, then the magic began...happy days!!

Thanks again Arlic!!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
theres 2 types of motherboards for 1024 tablets... the 1024n and the 1025...

if u flash the ofw from coby site at the 1025 motherboard, it will crash for sure...

Maybe, but I don't think so... It's only the revision of the board, and probably they have the same stock OS. My bet is that maybe the old revision may be more prune to a hardware defect like a bad NAND, so it may brick easier. Something like this, that's why they updated the board. Or 1025 was some kind of prototype.

Scrawler

Aug 2, 2011
Someone can put a picture here in the forum of the NAND? But precisely where they are showing the Pins. Thank you.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
There are pics... Go back a few pages and you will see them.

Scrawler

Aug 2, 2011
At the end of page 4 i uploaded an image with the detailed pins to short.
Ok. Thks! I had not seen. And another thing I did not understand. The card I'll put the file with WinImage, will be placed inside or outside of Coby?

Sorry for my English, i'm Brazilian! :D

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
FINALLY! My 7024 is unbricked and runnin up again! a Toast to this thread!
The wrong thing I was doing to not flash properly, is that I was formatting the micro SD with the file "INand_mm_sd_mbr.vhd" instead of "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" ... then done the formatting procedures again, and the recover was successful!

Scrawler, the WinImage and formatting procedures are done with microsd inserted in a PC using a adaptor etc, and when recovering coby, put the card in external sd entrance

megalex

May 19, 2011
FINALLY! My 7024 is unbricked and runnin up again! a Toast to this thread!
The wrong thing I was doing to not flash properly, is that I was formatting the micro SD with the file "INand_mm_sd_mbr.vhd" instead of "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" ... then done the formatting procedures again, and the recover was successful!

Scrawler, the WinImage and formatting procedures are done with microsd inserted in a PC using a adaptor etc, and when recovering coby, put the card in external sd entrance

Hi @cuida: Do you have had to short circuit the pins 7&8 for this to work?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Anyone was able to unbrick a MID1024 using this procedure so far?

There is a Gigerbread ROM available for 7024/8024 and I am willing to try to modify it for MID1024, but it seems that it needs modifications in the u-boot stuff, what is dangerous and could brick a tablet so I think it's wise to get a proved method for unbricking first...