PROJECT: Reviving a Hard Bricked Kyros

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hello... I have a stock, non rooted, 1024 with a 1025_v4 board (I´ve opened it yesterday to confirm). Its dual touch and is working fine.
If there is something I can do to help in your project please tell me.

Thank you very much for your help!

Confirmed: 1025_v4 and 1024n have different LCD and touchscreen!!

1025_v4
lcd - lp101wh1
ts - GT801NI_0R01_211

1024n
lcd - lp101
ts - GT801NI_3R12_159

One should be able to find what model is used in his tablet looking at dmesg just after booting (see previous posts in this thread for more info about how to get this info!).

Should I start a new thread about how to build a resurrecting firmware for bricked 1025_v4 or continue with this one??

Link to new thread with all the needed info:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...1024-owners-read-before-flashing-any-rom.html

Last edited:

Forsaken_BA

Sep 27, 2011
Think? If it's hard bricked then probably you've opened it already, right? Look at the main board, it should have "1024n" or "1025_v4" printed on it.

You can use the resurrection procedure to make it start again, but there is no working firmware for it as of now (what means it may turn on, but no video and no touchscreen). I will start a project in order to try to find more info about the boards and a complete firmware for it if users are willing to help.

no, i have not opened yet, because this still under warranty, but i live in Rio de Janeiro, and i bougth in São Paulo.
If you knew an easy way to recover I would not send for warranty, i will solve at home, do you understand?

Thank you for your help.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
no, i have not opened yet, because this still under warranty, but i live in Rio de Janeiro, and i bougth in São Paulo.
If you knew an easy way to recover I would not send for warranty, i will solve at home, do you understand?

Anything that could possibly resurrect it will void the tablet's warranty unless Coby comes with a official solution, so best thing to do is return it.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
We need u-boot.bin for 1025_b4 boards... Anyone with one of these willing to help? Also, how to retrieve u-boot from NAND?

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
We need u-boot.bin for 1025_b4 boards... Anyone with one of these willing to help? Also, how to retrieve u-boot from NAND?

I'm here to help... Just tell me how can I extract this file from my 1024...

Arlic

May 13, 2011
I was using the original 8024 ROM, you should use the original rom 1st. Also, remember one thing, if you get nothing(screen and usb) except the soft buttons lighting up you do this (pins 7 & 8). If you get any sign AT ALL(screen or through usb) from the Coby you don't have a "hard" brick, you have a "soft" brick and you need to do a different procedure.

When I was fiddling with pins 7 & 8 I didn't get anything at first, but then while holding the screwdriver at different angles and pressing the power button I noticed one thing....the unit stayed on. :)) The Coby hadn't given any response at all, so anything was good. After shutting off again after ~~2:00 minutes I still had the white screen at start up.......but didn't care.....the Coby was doing something. I just put the original rom on and flashed that. Simple.....just take your time....andit should work..:)

Bye...
Arlic

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Arlic, using the short-circuit does turn on the tablet, but some MID1024 have a different board named 1025_v4, and there is no working u-boot for it so far. Anyone that was tested bricked the tablet again, even OFW for MID1024 from Coby.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I *THINK* I have extracted u-boot from the NAND of my 7024, or at least most of it...

I made a custom utscript that reads the first MB of nand (this is where u-boot.bin is written) and writes it to the beginning of the extsd (erasing all data on the sdcard)
Then I used dd to extract the u-boot.bin from the extsd

For some reason the utscript hangs after writing the u-boot to my sdcard, but the file appears to be written.

I did not try flashing the u-boot.bin I extracted, so I'm not 100% sure it works.

Someone with a working 1025_v4 should be able to extract the u-boot safely.
But only someone with a hard bricked 1025_v4 and nothing to lose should attempt flashing it.

If anyone is brave enough to try it, let me know and I'll upload my utscript with instructions.

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I *THINK* I have extracted u-boot from the NAND of my 7024, or at least most of it...

steev, all I found so far was nanddump for Android:
[TOOL] MTD-Utils for Android (incl. nanddump/nandwrite) - xda-developers

I was able to dump /dev/mtd/mtd0 using:

Code:
./nanddump -nof /sdcard/uboot -s 0 -l 0x100000 /dev/mtd/mtd0

the result seems to be the same if I use dd or cat to dump /dev/block/mtdblock0, but it doens't look like the installed u-boot.bin. What am I missing?

I have a bunch of people willing to try anything in another forum in Brasil with many hard bricked 1025_v4 if you wanna share you utscript. You will get all the credits, of course, and I will report results.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I checked all the /dev/mtd/* files, couldn't find a u-boot in them.

Here is the utscript I made

Directions:

Note: this will erase all data on your external sdcard (including the partition table)

-Unzip and copy utscript to your sdcard

-Boot your tablet while holding the HOME button

-If it hangs at "Writing u-boot to extsd...", wait about 30 seconds then power off your tablet

-Turn on your tablet and connect it to your computer via USB

-Use adb to extract u-boot from your sdcard;
Code:
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1 of=u-boot.bin bs=512 count=2048

-To verify the file is a u-boot:
Code:
adb shell strings u-boot.bin | grep -i u-boot
You should see output like:
Code:
ÁâÃ!ÁâÃ)ÁâÃ1ÁâÃ9ÁâÃU-Boot 1.3.4 (Sep  8 2011 - 09:17:35) for SMDKV210
u-boot
U-Boot
u-boot parted
movi read  {u-boot | kernel} {addr} - Read data from sd/mmc
movi write {fwbl1 | u-boot | kernel} {addr} - Write data to sd/mmc
ready for self-burning U-Boot image

-Finally, pull the file:
Code:
adb pull u-boot.bin

Attachments

• $utscript.zip
    334 bytes · Views: 285
Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Great, steev! Now we need someone with a working 1024_v5 to extract u-boot! Fbox, can you do it? :D

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
Great, steev! Now we need someone with a working 1024_v5 to extract u-boot! Fbox, can you do it? :D
Hi... I'm having some problems installing/using ADB. There's any way to extract u-boot through terminal emulator?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hi... I'm having some problems installing/using ADB. There's any way to extract u-boot through terminal emulator?

Yes, I think so. Open Terminal Emulator with the microSD installed in the external slot and run this line:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1 of=/sdcard/u-boot1024.bin bs=512 count=2048

In the end you should see a "u-boot1024.bin" file in your /sdcard partition of the internal SD. Thanks!

Fbox

Oct 17, 2011
I got this:

"dd: can't open '/dev/block/mmcblk1': Permission denied"

Maybe because I'm not rooted?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I got this:

"dd: can't open '/dev/block/mmcblk1': Permission denied"

Maybe because I'm not rooted?

Hmm, yes. Even if you got adb working, you need root (see the "#" prompt instead of "$" which denotes a non-superuser).

If you're willing to root your tablet, you should be able to do it using the latest SuperOneClick. If adb isn't working, you may need to install PDA.net (Windows/PC) first to get USB access to the tablet.