protecting the screen...

kush61

May 24, 2011
Is a screen protector (i.e. transparent film) a necessity ? Or is the material of the screen
resilient enough ? I read somewhere in this Forum someone mention "Gorilla Glass".

HD87

May 14, 2011
Well.. can the screen scratch? Yes. would a screen protector help? Yes. Is it a necessity? depends on you. Ive had mine for 3 weeks without one.. but definetly getting one soon. The one from Bestbuy has a lifetime warranty. definetly a good investment. Would rather have to replace the screen protector then the screen itself. But if you drop it nothing will save it but your own quickness! so catch it if u can ;)

Last edited:

Mystikalrush

May 19, 2011
Doesn't hurt to get one. I don't typically use device covers/protectors sense I'm usually really careful with my devices but I always get some type of screen cover for added measure. That being said I got the invisible shield by ZAGG at best buy which has really nice screen protection, quite an amazing product I can intentionally screw with my screen to demonstrate to others and still have my wonderful device to play with.

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
I bought my screen protectors at a Verizon store - they're made for the Xoom but fit nicely on the Iconia Tab with about 1/4" to spare all around the active screen area. Very tough, easy to apply and they come three to a pack for $24.95.

kush61

May 24, 2011
Thanks! HD87, Mystikalrush, AQ_OC and docfreed.
I cant figure out how to "Thanks" to your profile!

powell

Jun 14, 2011
I have my HTC Desire (which has - I believe - the same Gorilla Glass type screen) for over a year now. I have never had any screen protectors on it and it is like new.
These kind of screens are really robust and I would not worry about scratches.
However, I just ordered an Anti Glare screen protector for my Galaxy Tab, just because I would like to try if the reading on open sun would be improved.

v62cobra

May 1, 2011
I have the Skinomi skin protector. The one I installed was made incorrectly and some of the pieces were too big. Called them up and they sent me another one free. They do have great customer service. The product itself is a pain to install and get the bubbles out, but once it's all done it is great. I would recommend protecting the screen especially if you throw it in a bag or use it in the field. You never know when a piece of metal is one your finger or floats through the air and lands on your screen and you strike it hard and now you have a scratch. Yes the glass is tough, but why risk it from falls, bumps, etc. I mean the power cord is so short, it doesn't take much to have it get yanked it someone hits the cord on accident.

hunted

Jul 4, 2011
I purchased the zagg from best buy myself. The wifes A500, I had them put it on. My wife bought my A500 and also the zagg protector and i installed it myself! If you follow the directions its not really that hard to put on. I didn't get any bubbles on it, so follow the directions and it will be fine. I have always put protectors on our phones and our new toys.

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
Been debating this too. I have it on my phone and always recommend them for phones since they are going in and out of pockets and places. I'm not sold on them for a tablet though. Especially with the gorilla glass. I will be getting a case should something fall onto it when it's laying around. I'm careful enough with my stuff I hope!

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
My phone is the first time I've used a screen protector and it's been worth it; however, pockets are the main thing there.
I tend to be great with other touchscreen devices, so I'm going commando with mine. ;)