Purchase New Tablet One Level Above Amazon Fire

musiclvr56

Jul 17, 2017
I have Amazon Fire and cannot listen to a website which is the local news while I am outside. Also, I cannot get the app AccuRadio which is my favorite music station. probably because the tablet doesn't have google playstore. Other than that I only use the tablet to read e-mails, facebook, and podcasts-I do not game.

I don't need bells and whistles, but do not want to be limited on apps that are available. Is it possible to pay less than $75 for what I am looking for?

Thanks!
Karen

musiclvr56

Jul 17, 2017
I was told that the music station I like has nothing to do with apps-it is the browser.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You should be able to sideload apps like Accuradio onto the Kindle Fire unless Amazon removed the toggle in Settings to allow installs from third-party sources. If they didn't remove that option, install one of the file managers available on the Amazon Appstore, then find a copy of Accuradio on APKMirror. Download the app from APKMirror, then use the file manager to navigate to the app. Double-tap the app to install it.

Repeat the process for the browser, if you can't find a better one on Amazon's Appstore.

If you want to permanently remove the limitations, you can do so if you're willing to sacrifice the Kindle Fire warranty. Root the Kindle Fire, install a custom recovery in place of the stock version, and you can then install a Google Apps package from The Open GApps Project. Some useful material on the topic can be found at XDA's 7" Kindle Fire HD General forum.

musiclvr56

Jul 17, 2017
My tablet is most likely "dead". I was on the phone for over 3 hours trying to fix it. Any recommendations on a tablet as I described on my comment. Thanks!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Whether installing the Play Store as a regular app or rooting to get all the Google apps, the main issue with the Play Store on an unsupported device is that support is incomplete at best. For example, on my old Coby tablet, installing the Play Store wouldn't allow me to install Google Earth, Tune-In Radio, and a few other apps. I had to modify the build.prop and change the model numbers to even come close to full support. Only after installing a custom ROM was I able to have unfettered access to the Play Store.

However, the above doesn't really answer the OP's question, which is a tablet to replace the Kindle Fire. Honestly, the tablet market has been shrinking for years. Except for Samsung, tablets are dominated by inexpensive brands that can be purchased for a song and a dime at Wal*Mart. Some of them are good, but most are not worth the hassle. My ancient Coby fell into the latter category, and I wish I had a Samsung tablet instead.

A good replacement would be the Samsung Tab A. The 7" model is only $119.99 and may possibly be found for less on Amazon. It comes with Google Play preinstalled, so you have full access there. You can also install the Amazon Appstore app separately and take advantage of any apps you already bought for your Kindle Fire. Though keep in mind the Play Store updates apps more quickly than the Appstore.