Riot Outfitters Leather Case Review with PICS

Epyx

May 27, 2011
I was in a Canadian Best Buy close to work and saw this case below the tablet area. I had read mixed things about Acer rubbery case and got cold feet with my expensive PD Air order after reading some mixed reviews on their service.

The company is Riot Outfitters and the protective case is leather and cost $49.99. The case uses magnets for closing it and it can be configured into 2 stand up modes using a flap that collapses with a magnet at the back. The ports are all exposed with the one exception being the docking port.

The only other negative so far other than the covering of the docking port is that latch holding the unit allows for a bit of slippage (1/2 cm) when held in landscape mode with that side facing down. Imo it's very minor and can likely be addressed cheaply in a DIY fashion but I thought I should mention it. Here are some pictures:

View1.jpg

View2-1.jpg

View3.jpg

View4.jpg

View5.jpg

View6.jpg

View7.jpg

Cover1.jpg

Cover2.jpg

Last edited:

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
It does look good! I wish they had it listed on their website, too. Time to do some digging...

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

dhornick

May 12, 2011
Love it someone please tell me when they find it online or in an american best buy. No offense to canada I'm just not gonna fly there to buy a case.

Oct 18, 2010
I like it. Just wish it didn't hide the beauty of the aluminum edges. I like the look of those ipad case that just grip the corners and leaves the edges exposed.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I can't even find it on Bestbuy's Canada website. How strange. I sent Riot Outfitters an email asking how we would be able to purchase one. I'll report back what they say.

Last edited:

Epyx

May 27, 2011
Hi guys. I agree it is very strange that they don't list it on their website (Best Buy Canada - Best Buy Canada for Canada btw). I asked them about this and they weren't sure why it wasn't listed. To add to the strangeness I couldn't even find the product on Riot Gear's own website so it must be very new but I can assure you it can be purchased off the shelf. I got mine at the Queensborough New Westminster Best Buy store in British Columbia. I also agree about hiding the aluminum, that is a shame. Hopefully it will start appearing on their website soon.

Also, with the part number that I have now included above you guys should be able to order it online if you like it.

Last edited:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Looks good, but why dont they give access to the memory card slot? I have only seen 1 case with access, but it cost a whopping $118 (which was PD Air btw), so I refuse not buy it.
I need to be able to change out memory cards without having to remove the case all the time :-(

Epyx

May 27, 2011
I need to be able to change out memory cards without having to remove the case all the time :-(

True, if you need access you have to remove it first. This hasn't been an issue for me yet but I can see having a card for movies, one for comics/books/games etc and having to remove it but for now given how it compares to the Acer case, I think its the best of the lot. I am sure better ones will come out because ya the PD Air is way too much price wise.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Looks good, but why dont they give access to the memory card slot? I have only seen 1 case with access, but it cost a whopping $118 (which was PD Air btw), so I refuse not buy it.

I'm with you. I want to use the tablet to view/edit photos on the fly ... which I'd like to do via the memory card ... without having to remove a case each and every time. Though, it doesn't look like it would be an issue with this particular case. The one Acer offers fit so tight that I thought I was going to rip it getting it off! I just bought a Kindle DX case that secures with elastic corners ... but that'll just be temporary ... I want one that has the stand option like this one!

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I am very interested in the case from Riot Outfitters and sent them an e-mail to ask how it can be bought as it still is not on their web site. Just in case I can't get one from them I was searching around and found this item on eBay:

Black Leather Cover Case Stand For Acer Iconia Tab A500 | eBay

This $35 case is located in Shenzhen, China but they offer free shipping to the US. There seems to be the same item available from a Hong Kong vendor and while they also have free shipping, their cases are being offered for auction rather than the one from China which is offered as Buy It Now.

Has anyone looked into this or even better gotten one? If the one from Riot does not pan out then I may take a chance!!

Gerry

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I was just looking at the pictures of the Chinese case on eBay (previous post) and I noticed it showed a small hole in the front at the upper right below the volume control. I looked at the Acer and I do see some kind of sensor there. Does anyone know what that sensor is for.

But even more importantly, does the Riot case have a hole for it. Its hard to tell from the posted pictures.

Thanks,
Gerry

Epyx

May 27, 2011
Hi ALL,

I was just looking at the pictures of the Chinese case on eBay (previous post) and I noticed it showed a small hole in the front at the upper right below the volume control. I looked at the Acer and I do see some kind of sensor there. Does anyone know what that sensor is for.

But even more importantly, does the Riot case have a hole for it. Its hard to tell from the posted pictures.

Thanks,
Gerry

The 5th picture down shows the button clearly. The button you are referring to is the orientation lock button. You can see it in the picture just to the right of the volume (in the 5th picture).