Riot Outfitters Leather Case Review with PICS

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Hi ALL,

I was just looking at the pictures of the Chinese case on eBay (previous post) and I noticed it showed a small hole in the front at the upper right below the volume control. I looked at the Acer and I do see some kind of sensor there. Does anyone know what that sensor is for.

But even more importantly, does the Riot case have a hole for it. Its hard to tell from the posted pictures.

Thanks,
Gerry

Is that where the light sensor is (for automatic screen brightness control)?

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
The 5th picture down shows the button clearly. The button you are referring to is the orientation lock button. You can see it in the picture just to the right of the volume (in the 5th picture).

I can see the opening for the lock button, but that is not was I was referring to.

Is that where the light sensor is (for automatic screen brightness control)?

I believe that is what it is and if you look at the lock button and then move your eye down to the front of the tablet, on the black area below the brushed aluminum you should see a darker spot. You may need to move the tablet around to eliminate any glare in that area or you won't see the spot.

Anyway, the Chinese foilo definitely has a hole for that spot (image attached) and I just wanted to make sure the Riot folio also has the hole.

Thanks,
Gerry

P. S. Double click on the image to get a larger image and you can clearly see the small hole where I described it should be.

$A500caseBR3_ne.jpg

Epyx

May 27, 2011
Why didn't you just say light sensor? ;)

Based on where it should be (I can't see it through the black) you would think its covered but I have noticed no impact on ambient light levels with the Riot case, then again I have auto brightness off.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Why didn't you just say light sensor? ;)

Based on where it should be (I can't see it through the black) you would think its covered but I have noticed no impact on ambient light levels with the Riot case, then again I have auto brightness off.

You mean there is no hole for the light sensor? While I also do not use auto brightness I still would not like it if the light sensor was covered up, as there may be some other need for it in the future!

Thanks,
Gerry

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I'm with you. I want to use the tablet to view/edit photos on the fly ... which I'd like to do via the memory card ... without having to remove a case each and every time. Though, it doesn't look like it would be an issue with this particular case. The one Acer offers fit so tight that I thought I was going to rip it getting it off! I just bought a Kindle DX case that secures with elastic corners ... but that'll just be temporary ... I want one that has the stand option like this one!

Just use a MicroSD USB adapter and use the USB port...

Cen5

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
(How do I put this delicately...???)

I just got an email reply from Riot Outfitters saying that yes, they do have this case - and I can purchase it from them for (ahem) $19.99. Epyx, if it's not too late to return yours and you (or anyone) want to take them up on it I will post the information.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

pw5470

May 20, 2011
(How do I put this delicately...???)

I just got an email reply from Riot Outfitters saying that yes, they do have this case - and I can purchase it from them for (ahem) $19.99. Epyx, if it's not too late to return yours and you (or anyone) want to take them up on it I will post the information.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Thanks for contacting them! I would be interested in ordering one from them. Had checked their website but could not find the case.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Thanks for contacting them! I would be interested in ordering one from them. Had checked their website but could not find the case.

Here's the info:

"We do have that case available for sale.
The cost is $19.99, the only problem is we can not process a credit card at this time for this item because it is not on our site.
I can process an order 2 ways, one you can order something for equal price from our website and when the order comes through I will see your name and send the Acer Tablet. Or the other way is to send us a check.
Let me know if you are interested in either of the above options and I will make sure that you get your order.
If you would like to call me to discuss details let me know and I will give you my direct line phone number.

Thank you
Tanya
Riot Outfitters Customer Service"

I'll post her phone number when I get it.

HD87

May 14, 2011
Here's the info:

"We do have that case available for sale.
The cost is $19.99, the only problem is we can not process a credit card at this time for this item because it is not on our site.
I can process an order 2 ways, one you can order something for equal price from our website and when the order comes through I will see your name and send the Acer Tablet. Or the other way is to send us a check.
Let me know if you are interested in either of the above options and I will make sure that you get your order.
If you would like to call me to discuss details let me know and I will give you my direct line phone number.

Thank you
Tanya
Riot Outfitters Customer Service"

I'll post her phone number when I get it.

So.. what's that number?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
She opted not to give it to me, saying instead that they will have the case posted on their site in a few days.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
She opted not to give it to me, saying instead that they will have the case posted on their site in a few days.

Hi Raven312,

She also told me that it would be on their web site soon, but its still not there and its been more than a week! So I opted to send them a check and in an e-mail on Tues (6/7) they said they got the check and were sending one out immediately. Once I get it I'll post my impressions and some more pictures.

Gerry

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I think I got whopped. I bought the $118 leather case from Amazon. When it arrives, I may have more to say about it...

It's a lot of money for a case but if it's in your budget, looks the price and protects your tablet, then you didn't get whopped (IMO).