[ROM] KKMod Gingerbread ROM for 8" IMX515 (v2.3.3.r02)

Discussion in 'Freescale Based' started by KillerKink, Sep 9, 2011.

1. KillerKink

KillerKink Senior Member Developer

Tablet / Device:
    Teclast P76ti
    KKMOD is ROM for the 8" imx515 tablet(1 or 2 speakers model) users based on the following original image (A8 iMX515 ?2.3.3_0626??(????A8????????) - ?????? ?? ?? - ????? APAD CLUB - Powered by Discuz!)

Note that there seem to be 1 known model which seem to use a realtek wifi hardware. This rom will not have a working wifi for this model. There are also 1 to 2 users who have trouble flashing the new rom so try it at your own risk.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hightlights:
    Performance seem to be good but I have to confess that I am not a heavy user so might not have fully tested all features.

This MOD is intended as a community project. If you have benefited from this ROM, do consider contributing back in your own ways. Simple things such as sharing what work for you and for which model of tablet will be useful for other users.

Download ROM(v2.2.3.r03)

Steps for upgrading to KKMod ROM

Additional Information:

Possible Improvement Plan:
    Known Issues

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tekowalsky

tekowalsky Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Vibrant, iMX-515 clones, Nook Color, HP Touchpad, Pandigital SuperNova, ExoPC

3. KillerKink

Tablet / Device:
    Teclast P76ti
    Yes, it does.

Recovery mode is only activated using factory reset. Going directly into recovery doesnt do anything. This mod is meant for end-user, developer should flash their own/custom recovery image.

4. tekowalsky

tekowalsky Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Vibrant, iMX-515 clones, Nook Color, HP Touchpad, Pandigital SuperNova, ExoPC
    I haven't been able to see the tablet from ADB. (Does not appear on the list of devices.)

Now it won't boot into regular mode.

Not sure what went wrong unless it was something to do with your recovery. The tablet seemed to work fine until I tried to go to recovery mode... Kudos on all the hard work.

I must have missed the post where you explained your Recovery only works if you go through Factory Reset.

I'll give it another try with a different recovery (and I'll remember to set up what I need to root before I seal the tablet up... doh!)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  5. KillerKink

Tablet / Device:
    Teclast P76ti
    Going into recovery mode manually does nothing( it wont do any config change so it will not affect your normal boot). If you are going into bootloop(mean you are stuck at the boot animation) after upgrading, connect usb and select "adb shell wipe data".

You can use kkmod romkit v1 to get into adb mode.

If you feel like configuring your computer for adb, refer to this :

setting up adb in 2.3.3

6. tekowalsky

tekowalsky Member

Tablet / Device:
    Thanks for the link. I'll try that tomorrow.

I'm also finding the new version of the Market force closes on this build.

7. KillerKink

Tablet / Device:
    Teclast P76ti
    yes, so far, there is one user who feedback too that the new version of market is not working. But I have not tried it yet and its not a priority since stock rom market is working well.

8. tekowalsky

tekowalsky Member

Tablet / Device:
    The problem I'm having is that every time I use the stock market, the new market downloads without my asking. Very irritating and not necessarily your mod in action.

The ADB change in the link you posted worked (thanks!).

I'm not having any luck rooting so far. I set the permissions to 4755 on the su binary and busybox. Superuser doesn't work and I've had no luck with Gingerbreak either.

Edit: I got the ROM rooted. The permissions need to be 6755 on the su binary. Also I used the su binary extracted from the latest version of Super User, available here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  9. awafula

awafula Member

Tablet / Device:
    FR-809 mx515
    Thanks. Been looking to try out Gingerbread on my Apad 2 speaker no screws model. Will let you know how it goes.
    Andrew

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. tekowalsky

tekowalsky Member

Tablet / Device:
    It's great to have (working) Gingerbread on my imx-515. I hacked around with the source from Freescale but just haven't had time to get something functional. I appreciate all your hard work.

Here's what I've found that doesn't work so far on my two speaker, no screws tablet
    (I see the same issues on my one speaker, two screws with camera tablet.)

Long press of the physical Back button does not bring up the volume control.
    The status bar Home button usually works.
    The status bar Menu button almost never works.
    The status bar Back button almost never works.
    The old market works but every time I use it, the new market update is installed.
    The new market force closes whenever I try to install anything.
    I also get a crashed tablet every time I try to change the date. (have to reset after)

Additional thoughts:
    ts.conf added to /system/etc helps with the touchpad issues.
    I changed the LCD Density to 145. The 180 setting made everything huge.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  11. awafula

awafula Member

Tablet / Device:
    FR-809 mx515
    Hello,
    Followed the instructions to the letter but I got a bricked tablet. It is stuck at the penguin, and won't go any further. Any ideas on how to recover?
    Andrew

12. KillerKink

Tablet / Device:
    Teclast P76ti
    BACK button can be override by any applications. Most games intecept the BACK button and reconfigure it. It can work in home or applications that does not customise the BACK button such as youtube.

Yeah. There are issue with the soft button that I have not figure it out as yet.

It definitely very strange since it does not force me to "update" to new market. It also does not sound right since the "new" market is a leak and not a official release so gingerbread should not force it on you. I suggest that there are still traces of your previous installation that is causing it.

Thats very strange, you are the first that I heard of that crashed 100% of the time when changing date. I have not been touching the date stuff for a while and I know for a fact that r02 no longer do datecorrection so it still something I will need to fix.

Nothing in the source codes mention about ts.conf. Of course, I am assuming that the manufacturer did not change the code. What kind of effect does ts.conf have?

The default is 160. Changing to 180 doesnt really have visible effect as its still in the medium density range. Setting to anything lower than 160 will make android detect the tablet as low density screen. Some applications does not support low density screen. The statusbar look bigger as I have make it bigger. :)

Did you see the kkmod logo(white android with a ubuntu in the middle) when you boot up? Are you able to get into flash mode(Press Menu + BACK)?

What steps did you follow to the letter?

13. awafula

awafula Member

Tablet / Device:
    FR-809 mx515
    Hello,

Yes. I am able to see the kkmod logo when I boot up. I am able to get into flash mode.

These are the steps I followed:
    1. Download KKMod Romkit v1.2a and burn to CD/DVD
    2. Bootup RomKit
    3. Bootup tablet and connect usb cable to PC and Tablet
    4. Flash KKMod Bootloader using Romkit
    5. Shutdown Tablet
    6. Hold Menu + BACK and power up(make sure the usb cable is still connected).
    7. Flash KKMod Android ROM using Romkit
    8. Reboot Tablet using Romkit

It booted up with the kkmod logo and then to the penguin and after that it got stuck there.

Anything else I can do?

Regards,
    Andrew

14. KillerKink

Tablet / Device:
    Teclast P76ti
    Was there any error at step 7? I suggest that you redo step 7.

15. awafula

awafula Member

Tablet / Device:
    FR-809 mx515
    There was no error at step 7. I have redone step 7 but still it doesn't work.