Rooting the 7022 and wifi tethering

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
Just curious once i change the wifi file will the tablet still see our wifi at home or will it only look for my phone?

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
ok so i attempted to change to wifi settings and had a prob setting the home ssid parts, there way different then in the example. i tried to do it and i got a wifi error, then when i tried to copy the old one it still had a error. had to restore with cmw. i need some help
im ok with the top info its the homenetwork thats give me issues mine is
network={"example"
key_mgmt=NONE
auth_alg=OPEN SHARED
wep_key0=0123456789
priority=4
tired just using it that way and it woudlnt work, the example given to me had a psk key which we dont have. i must be missing something tiny here. also noticed now i cant get into the date/misc/wifi folder through es anymore when i hit data it says file empty. i can only get into it from root explorer. i dont get it:)

Last edited:

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011
So your home network has no security? Did you make a copy before modifying and put it in the wifibackup folder like the instructions said? Root is only temporary, you will have to do the commands in the instructions or use root explorer to mount it as r/w once you reboot your tablet. Try to restore your backup copy if you have it in order to get your tablet to see your home network.

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
we have a older liksys router and do not have a psk only a wep ,we can use wep or wpa but not both, i restored my back up so its working again , so with the settings you posted above how to do i enter them to match my home network to get it to work with how our wep is set up, i was confused to what to put it the spot for the psk key area thats why i posted the above part to show how mine is set up. thanks

Last edited:

afterlife2

Sep 24, 2011
Hi jpauley thanks for the great instruction. I don't see the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip on sup. Should I use 3.0? Thanks

Eddie_Smith

Sep 26, 2011
jpauley,
Thank you so much for your detailed instructions.

BILL88STANG,
After days to of trial and error I was able to connect to my phone's ad-hoc wifi network.

ssid name:WMWifiRouter
password: 1234567890

My wpa_supplicant.conf file (aka Ad-hoc file)..
ctrl_interface=DIR=/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wifi
update_config=1
ap_scan=2
network={
ssid="WMWifiRouter" (with qoutes)
key_mgmt=NONE
mode=1
wep_key0=1234567890 (without qoutes)
priority=1
}

****Please note I only have my phone's ssid in the file.

At first I kept getting the "error" messages. Maybe because I would edit the file
in my pc with wordpad and copy it back to "data/misc/wifi folder". But if I edit
the file with root explorer in the "data/misc/wifi" folder, I did not get the error
messages.

I too had to restore with cmw a couple of times.So to avoid recovery again, With
root explorer I made a copy of the original file & renamed to something different
(wpa_supplicant.conf.bak) in the same location (data/misc/wifi..I also made a backup
copy to the external SD card). So that if I get the "error" message I delete the
wpa_supplicant.conf ad-hoc file and rename wpa_supplicant.conf.bak back to
wpa_supplicant.conf and restart.

Be sure to turn wifi "off" everytime you try out your file. Sometimes when I open the
wpa_supplicant.conf file with root explorer it would be empty. I just restart the tablet
and the contents comes back.

I have to switch back & forth between my Ad-hoc and original wpa_supplicant.conf file.
If I leave the ad-hoc file, most of the time it will not connect to my home & work
wifi networks.

There is a thread somewhere here that talks about using "gscript" to switch between
adhoc & original wpa_supplicant.conf files.

Just to let you know I also notice after rooting my tablet and connecting to my phone's
ad-hoc wifi, my wifi reception has gotten weaker. What use to be 3 bars in my living
room is down to one. And in my upstairs bedroom is a hit or a miss.

Anyone,
Any idea how to fix this?

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011
Hi jpauley thanks for the great instruction. I don't see the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip on sup. Should I use 3.0? Thanks

Yous should be OK with 3.0. I have not tried it as su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip was available when i rooted my device.

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011
I had the same issue when editing in notepad and then copying to the tablet. What I found was there was and extra space behind each line eventhough it looked like there was none. The wpa_supplicant.conf file will be different depending on what type of encryption you are using for you home and or phone. In my home I use wpa with a psk and on my phone the wifi tether only offered wep with a 128 bit passphrase. The key to it finding your phone is to add ap_scan=2. This is not present in the original wpa_supplicant.conf file.

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
This is driving me nuts, every time i copy thefolder with the new files from the sd card over to the wifi folder when i open it its blank, if i move it back its there. i reset it still blank. so i just type it all back in and save it and it shows my phone not in range and wont connect to home wifi set up says poor single and only option is to forget or cancel

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
after playing around i finally got it to read my phone and still connect with my home network without having to switch back and forth between files! thanks everyone for your great information

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
UPDATE. i can long one to either one but as soon as i log in to home wifi the tablet will not longer be able to find my phone is says its not in range. and when i log in to my phone it has a hard time logging back into home wifi. any suggestions? seems once it read my home wifi it wont read mine anymore, i open the file and i have to manually add the ap scan and the wep txt key idx thing to get it to recognize again and connect.

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011
UPDATE. i can long one to either one but as soon as i log in to home wifi the tablet will not longer be able to find my phone is says its not in range. and when i log in to my phone it has a hard time logging back into home wifi. any suggestions? seems once it read my home wifi it wont read mine anymore, i open the file and i have to manually add the ap scan and the wep txt key idx thing to get it to recognize again and connect.

Change update_config=1 to update_config=0

This should prevent the file from being overwritten keeping the ap_scan in the file.